1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compression Quality Question!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by kdob, Jan 6, 2005.

1. kdob

kdob Member

Can someone breakdown the percentage compression/quality for me? I've been burning without paying much attention to the compression of my dvd's and have said to myself quality means more to me than most of the other stuff.

Well, I have been burning dvd's, full disc backups at 4464MB's with Verbatim 8x dvd+r's at 12x speed, and on a regular tv don't see anything that jumps out and looks poor.

Now, I plan on getting a bigscreen plasma HDTV in the near future, would the quality be seen more clearly then? I like good quality but buying DL disc cost to much atm, and I'm kind of lazy and cheap to put all these movies onto 2 discs. Re-authoring movies like Troy still puts me at 61%.

Any words of wisdom?

2. d-rock

d-rock Guest

Hi. I use DVDShrink to back up all of my original DVD movies, and I always use the "reauthor" option. Once there I click on the "main movie", whichever "title" that happens to be. Sometimes there is more than one "title" listed under the "main movie" tab, so then you have to figure out which one you want. Sometimes one is the full-screen version of the film, and the other is the wide-screen version. Sometimes it's two different angles of the same film.
    I have a 65" Sony TV, so I don't ever want to compress any of my DVD's, since the compression is more obvious on the bigger TV. What I do is split a DVD onto two blanks so I don't have to do any compression. Keeping the original quality is worth having to swap out the DVD part-way through watching the film. Splitting the original DVD into two copies is very easy to do with DVDShrink from within the "reauthor" mode.
    By reauthoring, you lose all of the menus, but honestly, I don't want the menus at all. I like putting in my backup, pressing play and having the movie start immeditely.
    I hope this helps.

3. d-rock

d-rock Guest

Hi. I use DVDShrink to back up all of my original DVD movies, and I always use the "reauthor" option. Once there I click on the "main movie", whichever "title" that happens to be. Sometimes there is more than one "title" listed under the "main movie" tab, so then you have to figure out which one you want. Sometimes one is the full-screen version of the film, and the other is the wide-screen version. Sometimes it's two different angles of the same film.
    I have a 65" Sony TV, so I don't ever want to compress any of my DVD's, since the compression is more obvious on the bigger TV. What I do is split a DVD onto two blanks so I don't have to do any compression. Keeping the original quality is worth having to swap out the DVD part-way through watching the film. Splitting the original DVD into two copies is very easy to do with DVDShrink from within the "reauthor" mode.
    By reauthoring, you lose all of the menus, but honestly, I don't want the menus at all. I like putting in my backup, pressing play and having the movie start immeditely.
    I hope this helps.

4. bardie

bardie Regular member

I have compressed to 48% and we have a large screen and I can't see any less quality. But of course the higher the better, and yours at 61% should be great.

5. kdob

kdob Member

Thanks for the info. Is there a guide somewhere that tells you how to split the movie somewhere? I might do some of the movies I really like onto 2 dvd's.

6. oasis

oasis Guest

C`mon bardie!With a compression of 45%,you`ve got to see the difference on your big screen!I`ve got a 52" sony and i clearly see the archefacts when going below 70% compression!

7. d-rock

d-rock Guest

kdob
    To split the DVD, choose "reauthor" and then on the right-hand panel choose the drive letter where you have the original disc. Next choose the "main movie" by double-clicking on the "title" you want. Once analized, the title will appear in the left-hand panel. See the icon above the title in the left-hand panel that has two arrows pointed at each other? Click on that. It's the start/end frame icon. Start with chapter 1 and end with a chapter that leaves a little room on the end of the disc, i.e. the total size of the chapters you have selected needs to be less than 4600MB. Let's say for example that your disc has 28 chapters, and chapters 1 through 19 fill up a little less than 4600MB. Choose "backup" and burn this first disc. Now, go to the start\end frame icon again and this time start with chapter 20 and go to the end of the movie at chapter 28. Burn this and you've got the movie split to two discs without losing any quality, but of course the menus and extras are gone. Personally, I never want those anyway. I have found that any compression below 80% is really noticeable on my 65" Sony HDTV, so I NEVER compress.

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

99% of the movies out there dont even need to be compressed with just the movie. I do just movies and have maybe 4 to 8 if that out of hundreds of backups that had to be compressed and even then never had to be compress more then 85% Also when you re-author just the movie take out subpictures and extra audio files you dont need and uasly you can get the movie to backup without compressing at all.

9. bardie

bardie Regular member

Fair comment Oasis, of course I see a difference with different levels of compression, and I only have been at 48% once and really it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
    Most of my movies are 60% or higher compression and I personally can't see much differece at all, but that is just me and my eyes. I too have a Sony but not quite as large as yours.

10. kdob

kdob Member

Appreciate the help d-rock!