1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

compression ration ???

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jackthe, Nov 22, 2004.

1. jackthe

jackthe Member

From the shrink guide it states:
    "First click on the Main Movie and take a look at the percentage you can see to the left. It shows the ratio of the compressed video versus the original video. You want to keep the percentage as high as possible or in other words to keep the compression as low as possible. The smaller the extra compression is the less compression artifacts will appear in the backup copy."
    If I can't get it at 100% what is a good target ratio to get the backup as near as the original as possible?

TIA.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey jackthe, I am a newbie but everyone has their own compression levels they burn. Since I burn the main movie only, and if the movie is over 4300 mbs, I custom it to that level to keep it from "burning the edge of the disc". A rule of thumb:The more you compress it,your quality goes down. If you use the enhancements of shrink, deep analyzing and slow encoding, then that will drastically improve the quality. It takes longer, but still have a very good copy. Hope this may help - later

3. jackthe

jackthe Member

It does, thanks.

4. run911

run911 Guest

jackthe,

im a newbie but i've had great luck by doing this
    if your using dvd shrink and dvd decypter.

in dvd shrink, re-author and save (main movie only)which is usally the biggest number in the lists
    on the left, and maybe the title, which is usally
    right above that.

if you do the above you shouldn't have to mess with all the other adjustments they should be set at default. i should only take about for everything at
    the most give or take a little bit.

now if you want the whole thing, click on full disks
    let shrink anaylise it, if you watch the bar on top
    usally if no red shows up you should be fine.

it can be more complex than this but, this is what i do. hope i helped you.

run911

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey jackthe and run911, Some of my backups are small enough that I
    they
    don't need shrunk at all. I can get all the extras without shrinking. This software is so easy and the things you can do are almost endless. And it's all free. I am glad I didn't waste my money on any other software before I started burning. I am just now tapping into the potential of shrink and decrypter. And the people in this forum know their stuff to help us out when we need them. This site is also awesome for fixing problems, finding quality media, downloading tools, easy guides and friendliness. Hey Jackthe, Let us know how you'r burning. This is a nice place to be. Later