1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compression Settings

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by radioxtra, Apr 7, 2007.

1. radioxtra

radioxtra Member

Hi,

I have been using DVDFab to get movies to my hard drive, then Shrink to burn to a DVD. I use re-author. My question is, what is the lowest compression that will be OK? Some I am able to get to in the 90% range and that has worked great. When will I start to lose quality or get movie freeze at?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

90%?

That means there's only 10% compression on your backup,so no biggie.

If you're using quality media,low compression,burn half the rated speed of your media -you probably wouldn't even notice that 10% compression.

Now when shrink tells you 85%(15% compression) or lower,using that quality setup:Then you may start noticing some blockiness in the background of the picture. It all depends on the TV's that you are going to view them. Any freezing,then you got something else wrong like crap media,burned too fast,paper/sticker labels,multi-tasking,or a dirty laser lens in the drive that shows freezing,skipping,pausing issues.

Larger screens (Big Screens)will likely show the compression issues,as apposed to smaller screen teles.

By reauthoring,you're already reducing compression.

Some movies will still have major compression after they have been re-authored. When shrink tells you 85%-75% or less-try Max sharpness. Below 75%,give Max smoothness a try. Those AEC enhancements do slow down the process time,but the playback is well worth it. 40% compression backups on my 32" sharp,I can't tell a difference between max sharpness and max smoothness,but max sharpness is a little quicker-process time.

You can pick up some DVD-/+Rw's and expirament with a highly compressed main movie only like Lord of the Rings. Try these tests with no AEC enhancements,then Max smoothness,and Max sharpness. Then view them on your Tele.