1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compression software.

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by amerex, Dec 13, 2003.

1. amerex

amerex Member

whats the best software for compressing 2 or 3 mpeg's into one movie.

i downloaded saving private ryan and its 3 movies all together.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

You mean combining? For MPEGs, the simplest answer would be TMPGEnc.

3. amerex

amerex Member

sorry i wasnt clear.. i used a tool just like TMPEnc to convert them to MPEG format. now i want to "combind" them into one movie.

if theres a way to combining video using MPEG Encoder, please do tell.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2003
  4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes...With Tmpgenc...Go to "File" to "Tools" to "Merge & Cut" and Load in Part #1 then #2 then #3 then choose the Correct format from the Dropdown Menu, then choose an output file name and click "Run" and Wait...Remember all of the Files have to have the exact same Specs...Cheers

5. amerex

amerex Member

hey Minion, whats up bud!

thanks and i'll try it in the morning.

just a quick question.. when converting avi's using MainConcept MPEG Encoder, does it matter if i encode a movie with video MPEG2 with Layer2 audio as a pose to using video MPEG1 & with Layer1 audio? is there a difference?

thanks

6. Praetor

MPEG2 --> SVCD
    MPEG --> VCD

7. amerex

amerex Member

oh ok. so it doesnt matter if its SVCD or VCD, right?

8. Praetor

Well SVCDs are twice the quality of a VCD so its up to you. ;-)

9. amerex

amerex Member

ok cool. i'll stick with SVCD then. ;)

thanks mate

10. Praetor

No problem :)

11. amerex

amerex Member

ok it combinded perfectly.

the only problem is that it is 5.22 gbs.

and i believe the highest a blank dvd disc goes to is 4.7gbs.

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

what you should have done before encodeing is used a Bitrate calculator to calculate the Bitrate you have to use so that the Movie fits on a DVD-R....You can download one from here:
    http://www.gallen.de/dvd/powerbit14.zip

13. amerex

amerex Member

great thanks Minion.

i will be using DVD+ disc. does that make any difference in my situation?

14. amerex

amerex Member

just to clearify, i should use the bitrate tool to compress the movies before i convert them into MPEG?

oh one last thing, is there a english version of this bitrate tool? ;)

thanks again

Last edited: Dec 14, 2003
  15. Praetor

Yes i would imagine so

16. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, You don"t use the Ditrate tool to Compress the Files you use it to calculate what bitrate you should use to encode your files...It will have a Place were you Put in the Length of the Movie and it will have a Place were you choose what Audio Bitrate you want to use and then you click the Button on the Bottom Left and it will give you the Bitrate you should use for the Video when you encode and it will give you a Aproximate prediction of what the File size will be...I have not been able to find an English version of this Bitrate calculator But there isn"t Much to Know, On the Top Left is were you put in the Length of the Movie and on the Top Right you put in your audio Bitrate and on the Bottom you get your Readout...Cheers

17. amerex

amerex Member

hey mate. i know actually what you mean now. the video rate i was using was 23.97fps. [​IMG]
    as for the audio, how do i know what to input on the biterate calculator. i tried to use virtual dub to see if it would give me any audio info, but it's not working with this particular movie.

thanks

Last edited: Dec 15, 2003
  18. Minion

Minion Senior member

No..I guess you do not Know what I mean...I guess I"ll have to start From the Beginning then....What the "Bitrate Calculator" is Tell you what Bitrate you should use in your Encoder so that a Movie of a Certain length with an audio Bitrate that "YOU" choose will Fit on a Blank DVD-R...So you Run the Bitrate Calculator and you Put in the Length in Minutes of your AVI file you want to encode... and you Put in the Audio Bitrate that You want to use and you Press the Big bottom on the Bottom Left and then it will say what Bitrate you should Put in your Encoder...I see in your Picture you have chosen the Wrong "Mpeg Type" choose "DVD" not Mpeg2 and click the "Details" Button and moove the "Search Method" and the "Search Range" to the Highest Setting then click the "Advanced" Button and here is were you Put in the Bitrate, if you choose the "Variable Bitrate" setting then the "Average" is were you Put in the Bitrate that the "Bitrate calculator" Gave you...Since the Movies you are encodeing is "Saveing Private Ryan" and it is about 3 Hours Long(180 Min) then you would encode each Part with an average Bitrate of about 3175kbs and Put in say 6000kbs for the Max Bitrate and Put in say 2500kbs for the Minimum Bitrate..then in the Top go to the "Audio Settings" and Put in "224kbs" as the Audio Bitrate, Now close up the settings windows and encode all 3 Files Useing the Exact Same settings...when you have encoded all 3 Parts to Mpeg2/DVD then you can either Author them as 3 Parts But it would be better if you Joined all 3 Parts before encodeing but you can do it after encodeing also...Another Thing is since your Movie is really long and uses a Fairly low Bitrate you should select "2-Pass encodeing" in the "Detailed Settings" this will Inproove the Video Quality but will also take 2 Times Longer...I hope this clears things up for you a bit...Cheers

19. amerex

amerex Member

sorry for being such a noob! i appreciate your patiance. i know it is hard dealing with us sometimes, but this stuff if can be difficult.

i did have some understanding of what you meant about the bite calculator. the only part i dont get is, what audio biterate do i use?

you said..

"So you Run the bitrate Calculator and you Put in the Length in Minutes of your AVI file you want to encode... and you Put in the Audio bitrate that You want to use and you Press the Big bottom on the Bottom Left"

i understand you have to enter in the length of the movie but what audio biterate should i enter in. thats the only thing i dont get.

ok, so i'll encode these AVI's over again with these settings. then after use TMPGEnc again to combind all 3 movies into one. just hopefully this time it will fix on DVD-R.

or perhaps, i just might combind them all and then run this same set up on MPEG Encoder.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks so much

Last edited: Dec 15, 2003
  20. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well the audio Bitrate is up to you, the More bitrate the Better the Quality but also the Larger the File size..224kbs will usually Produce good enough quality and 384kbs is the Highest quality that the encoder will encode but in this Case it is better to use Less on the Audio so you can use more for the Video because the Movie is Quite Long ,but whatever you do make sure that you do NOT choose "LPCM Audio" (Which I saw it set to in the Very Bottom Picture) because LPCM (Or Wav audio) uses a Rediculous amount of Disk Space..I actually use Dolby Digital AC3 audio which is the best Format But you need to use a external encoder for Dolby digital....Well it looks Like you have all of the Setting Pretty Much set properly which should Produce Fairly good Quality as Long as your AVI is Of Good Quality, but you will loose a some Quality From resizeing your AVI from 576+320 up to 720+480 but that is Unavoidable unless you use one of the Other DVD formats But I will explin about other DVD Formats that you can use to get More Video on a Disk like up from 4-6 hours, at another Time....Cheers

PS: if you run into any problems Let me Know and I"ll try to help the Best I can....