1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compression software.

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by amerex, Dec 13, 2003.

1. amerex

amerex Member

hey mate, now the out come is 4.02 gb's!!
    so all is well! :)

thanks again!! you the man!!

2. amerex

amerex Member

Hey Minion,

Now that i have my mpg files, how do i burn them to dvd+r?

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Now that you have the Mpeg2 files you have to use a DVD authoring program so you can add the Menu"s and Chapters and then it will format the Files to a "Video_TS Folder" and then burn them to DVD+R...For a Simple program that will author a Basic DVD "Tmpgenc DVD author" is good ,I usually use "DVD-Lab" but it is More complex....Cheers

4. amerex

amerex Member

hey Minion, yeah, i wasnt sure what i should do with the menu and chapter settings. how should i set it up?

the menu and chapter settings are like the menu you see before starting a dvd, correct?

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well At the Very Lest you have to have a Main Menu with at least one Button linking it to the Start of the Movie...For something really Basic you Can just drag you Video/Audio file to the Movie Timeline and then use the Slider and the Chapter Insert button to insert Chapters you can insert them Randomly every 30 seconds or so, then you can simply Drag one of the Backround Pictures that are Provided by DVD-Lab to the Main Menu, then Just Write the Name of the Movie on the Main Menu, then after you have the Menu Made you Just have to Right Click on the Writeing or on an Object that you will use as a Button and go to "Main Movie" to "Movie Start"...Now when the DVD is Played the Main menu will Pop up and all you have to do it Click the Play button to start the Movie...I usually Put 3 or 4 Movies on each DVD=R so I just write each name of each movie on the Menu and then Link each name to the Movies beginning so I just have to select the Movie I want to watch and it will Play.....

6. amerex

amerex Member

shit Minion, I guess i should have stated that i am using TMPGEnc DVD Author

sorry about that

7. amerex

amerex Member

Hey Minion, you'll be proud of me.

I figured out how to back up dvd's to my HDD and then compress it to one.

I also got the TMPGEnc DVD Author to work. I just used this guide >TMPGEnc Authoring Guide I found.

you mentioned this..

how actually do you put 2 to 3 movies on one single disk? I know you probably compress them, but you cna only compress so much before you lose your video quality.

Thanks for all that you've done for me.
    Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2003
  8. amerex

amerex Member

just when i thought everything was okay..

one of my movies that i encoded with Main Concept Encoder. the dvd will play but i dont get any sound. i did noticed that right as soon as the movie played there was green lettering that said, "Audio 1" and disappeared. what do you think could cause the audio from not playing?

Thanks

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well that"s Great !!! I hope it looks good? Well The only reason I can think of for the audio not being there is if you forgot to add it when authoring your DVD ..I don"t know how the Guide says to do it cuz I couldn"t get the Link to work but you Probably should have had a seperate AC3 audio file when authoring your DVD....But becides this i don"t know what it could be...
    The way you can get 3 or 4 Movies on a DVD is useing a different DVD format...There are 3 different Resolutions you can use to create a DVD and the lower the resolution the Less bitrate you need to achive a Crisp Picture and the less bitrate the More Video you can fit on a DVD..You do Loose some Quality, the Quality is between VCD and SVCD or better depending on the Resolution and Bitrate you use But unless you have a Big screen TV the Differance isn"t dramatic and the audio Quality is the same as DVD...well you might also try useing some DVD-RW"s so you don"t waste any DVD-R"s....Good Luck

10. amerex

amerex Member

hey mate! yeah, i've been burning like mad man ever since you helped me understand that i had to author my vid's.

I backed up 5 movies so far and they look great. of course not exactly how they looked before i did the encoding, but nonetheless, they look good.

as for that one particular flick where the sound wouldnt play... you said that
    well all i did was add the mpg file into TMPEGnc DVD Authoring and it created two folders, AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. ( which you already know)
    i did all my other videos like this and they worked fine. just not this one.

i did noticed that when i was ready to burn with Nero the AUDIO_TS folders always appeared empty. just the VIDEO_TS folder was filled. i never thought anything of it cause the final result was good.

curious, but do you mean, lowering the resolution by changing it to 1152 x 864? or lower?

as for this..
    its funny you say that.. i just wasted two dvd's trying to burn that stupid video only to have the 2nd one without audio as well. lol definitely +RW next time!

Thanks Mate!! ;)
    p.s. oh, and by the way, heres the link to that guide again
    http://www.movieking.co.uk/guides/tmpgdvd.html

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well that Guide doesn"t tell you anything..Tmpgenc DVD author is a No Brainer, I thought this Guide was telling you how to Rip the DVD and extract the audio and how to Frameserve the Video to the encoder and how to add 3:2 Pulldown Flags and all the other stuff you would need to do to Backup a DVD Manually...How are you Backing up these DVD"s??

12. amerex

amerex Member

whoa.. ok you completely lost me now.

snap.. i thought the guide explained how to author your mpegs. :(

well for backing up a actual dvd, i used DVD Shrink to rip it to my hard drive and then DVD2one to compress it so it will fit on a disc.

for my divx/xvid to mpeg movies. i used TMPGEnc DVD Authoring to, what i thought, set the chapters and menu, using that guide.

now i feel like a complete moron.. :*\

i could have swore that, that gudie was good.

i loaded my mpeg file and then titled it and set the chapters in sequence and set a background layout, then burned it.

13. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well I meant it was a No Brainer because it has Like 5 steps that it basicly just walks you through..As Long as you realize that every DVD needs at least One Menu and one Button Pointing to the movie then you will have a DVD that works and most DVD authoring programs should tell you if you have forgotten to link a Button to a menu or a Button to a Chapter ECT..
    Well anyways it seems like you are getting it , so keep it up...Cheers

14. amerex

amerex Member

hey Minion, what did you mean about making sure i added the audio when authoring?

thanks mate

15. amerex

amerex Member

[​IMG]

the only thing i can think of is this section that appears right after you load the MPEG file into TMPGEnc DVD Authoring.

after loading another screen pops up and shows the video and audio file path. should i seperate the audio into it's own file, then load it with the video?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2003
  16. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Most DVD Authoring programs prefer if you use seperate Audio and Video Files when authoring a DVD, and at the Time I thought you were Backing up a DVD useing the Manual Backup Method instead of useing a Movie you downloaded off the net, I talk to so many poeple with so many different problems I sometimes get poeple mixed up...Are you checking your Mpeg2 files after encodeing to see if the audio is there for the whole File??? I allways encode my Audio files seperately from my Video files so I allways have a seperate audio and Video file when authoring to DVD and I allways Use Dolby Digital AC3 as my DVD audio format.......Cheers

17. amerex

amerex Member

no prob. i know you help alot of people besides me. so that guide i was refering to was right, eh ;)

well i have no clue how to check my audio after i have encoded the file.

so if i was to seperate the audio into a seperate file, what should i use? i know Virtual Dub will create a wav. file, but how to i get it into a AC3 file format?

thanks bro
    ;)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2003
  18. Minion

Minion Senior member

What do you Mean you don"t know how to check the audio after encodeing the File??? LOLOLOLOL LOFLMAO...
    Umm...You Play the File and watch and Listen to it!!!

Yes the Guide was right ,I never said it wasn"t It just explains something that shouldn"t need explaining, It"s Like Writeing a Guide on how to Tie your Shoes or Brush your Teeth...well have a Good One...Cheers

19. amerex

amerex Member

LOL.. glad you had a laugh on my expense! ;)

well dude, i know how to do that! of course i checked the movie right after encoding it. that's obvious. i thought you were implying i use a program to check the audios integrity and see if the audio is ok or bad.

i realize the authoring is easy now, but if you hadn't ever done it before, it's not going to pop into your head. yes, it's self explanitory, but i just wanted to make sure i did everything right, so i used the guide. you have to remember this is all completely new to me.

i dont think you can compare it to brushing your teeth or ting your shoes. lol

anyways Minion, good job. thanks

20. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

LOL *Praetor also has a good laugh* :D :)