1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compression Threshold?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by roykirk1, Jan 20, 2007.

1. roykirk1

roykirk1 Member

Hi

I realize this might be a personal/individual vision thing, but...

What minimum compression threshold should I shoot for? Is compression noticeable at 90%? 80%? Sometimes a full disc backup will drive everything down to 50%!

Comments and insights appreciated.

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Shoot for the lowest you can get, but settle for what you have to use. ;) 90% is negligible, 80% is a good limit for transcoders, and any further you need an encoder for best quality. Encoders take longer, so most people use transcoders like DVD Shrink and CloneDVD 2. Transcoders will go farther than the 80% I mentioned and often you'll have decent quality. When you start nearing 60% you're talking serious compression and you can start getting compression errors, anything from video errors to skipping.

3. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I try to get at least 75%. I do only the movie so that is achieveable most of the time.A lot of times you can get 100% if the movie is short. I never worry if over 80%.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  4. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

With 75% or 70% and lower on quality ratio, I'll simply fire up DVD-RB Pro + CCE SP 2.70 via 3 PASSES VBR -- this is the best combo in my opinion.

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I have to agree. That's the setup I use. ;)