1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compression with DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ChuckyV, Nov 3, 2004.

1. ChuckyV

ChuckyV Member

when using DVD Shrink and you have to reduce the compression precentage. How much is too much compression before you start to see quality problems?

2. marengo

marengo Guest

I notice a difference at about 90% - 92%. It depends if you will be watching the movie on your comp or TV. I usually use the deep analysis option for compression of 90% or less.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi ChuckyV, welcome to aD,

As the man said, it's in the eye of the beholder.
    If you have a LCD or Plasma TV you're apt to see differences sooner than later. If you're an average TV watcher, just sitting 6 to 8 feet from the screen watching the show, you can go some before it looks a VHS tape more than a DVD.

Now that the new, improved DVD Shrink has a Deep Anaylsis AND a Quality Enhancement feature, I recommend that you use them as soon as they come on (which is when any compression at all is required). By using those features, compression to 60% still comes out pretty well (Im now a convert using Maximum Smoothness all the time) after processing the DVD.

As I said when I began, everyone has their own opinion, try it yourself, since it's FREE, there's no earthly reason not too.

Cheers,

Pete