1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

compression

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by BIGJJ, Oct 18, 2004.

1. BIGJJ

BIGJJ Member

HELLO~
    I was wondering, when i burn movies (probably burnt about 30 with no problems) when shrink does its duty i usually have to reauthor which is no problem because i could care less about menus and extras anyway.The compression rate for example on braveheart is about 64 (if i remember right) at custom settings on shrink at 4300.
    I hear all the hype about needing (or not so much needing ) low compression to preserve dvd quality??
    Am i crazy?? All the dvds i burn or atleast most of them are at 60-80 compressed some are even 55.
    I have a big screen downstairs inwhich all i use is a ps2 to play all these movies and i can't tell the difference from a movie with a 55 % or a 95 % compression rate ..and its still on a ps2.I'm pretty sure i can tell good quality .
    Even upstairs i have a pioneer dvd player with a hd tv good quality and they look the same up there as downstairs.
    Not really sure what my question is ...I guess is compression that important??

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Opinions vary, but yes I am inclined to agree with you regarding compression rates, but also alot of it depends on the type of film aswell.

eg.Finding Nemo and Shrek etc, these are high definition computer animations
    and even though the films are relatively short in time, the resolution is very high and therefore take up Mb, so compression is required, and mostly you cannot notice it, and is very watchable.....

The main areas where I find differences are films that have fast paced action/explosions and dark scenes.
    The highly compressed (IMO) show up more in these areas, than in slower paced/less fast actioned movies.
    However the dark scenes always show the differences between a commercial and a backed up dvd...........

3. BIGJJ

BIGJJ Member

HELLO~
    I'll look at the darker scenes next time.
    Do you think changing the settings to "do a deep analysis" and maybe using smoothness or one of the other custom settings would improve quality on those types of movies?

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hard to say really as I do not use dvd shrink.

However I do think it is the normal way when compressing, to use the deep analysis mode.