1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CompUSA

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by SDempsey, Apr 26, 2005.

1. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

HI

got hold of 100 CompUSA - discs for €25, what I have noticed about the discs is that it is taking up to 10 minutes longer to burn a movie, this is not a major issue for me but I was wondering does anybody know anything about these discs ? they are made in Taiwan

2. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

sorry I have just discovered that there 2x

3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

there probably junk. stick with the good stuff as in TY,Ritek,Verbatim,Maxell and you can get good deals on supermedia store.com or meritline.com

4. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

store branded media is usually pretty bad, regardless of WHO/WHERE you buy them from. i suggest you stay away from compusa,office depot, staples, and ANY other store branded media in the near future.

suggestions for local store, if you are not in the US, which by your initial question, that symbol before the 25 does not appear to be a dollar sign, you should look for fuji's at bestbuy, sonys at staples/compusa, or maxells at officedepot and staples. try to find the "made in japan" spindles as this will ensure a "better purchase", the ones made in japan will code out as yuden or tygo2 for the fuji and sony. the maxell is also decent, but i don't have as much experience with those as i do with Taiyo Yuden.

Verbatim is pretty good too, these are almost all made in taiwan, in dash or plus format, from my experience, anything MCC coded..which there are...are top notch media.

hope that helps, if you need any more suggestions, feel free to come on back, or you can even PM me~ i've burned thousands of dvds and have never gone wrong w/ TY coded or MCC coded media...flawless burns.

have a good one and good luck~

5. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

Nope, that € sign is Euro im in Ireland, I have ripped a few movies using the discs today and they seem to be fine.

6. Unjust2u

Unjust2u Regular member

Hello, If anyone is wondering about compusa dvd's i bought a fifty pack 4x dvd+r and had 5 coasters, then i bought a spindle of 100 same stuff and first 10 were all skipping in spots it was junk! You can try these out but from my experience this is very bad media!! Buyer Beware!! I threw out 90 of these disks last week in the trash . The bad thing is i could have got sony dvd's at the same price but i had to learn the hard way. If only i would have listened and read to what 99% of the members here on this great site tried to explain is stick with what works. I have verbatim MCC)disks right now and the quality is so much greater , and just think of the time you save not having to redo what you could have done right in the first place. This is why all those disks are in the trash, my time is worth more money than playing around with cheapo media !! Buyer Beware !!!/ Unjust

7. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I agrre with you CompUSA disks are the worst. I bought a 25 pack to try, I own 3 burners none of which would burn them, took them to a friends house and their Memorex burned one but it skipped and froze I finally threw the rest out, never buy store brands.

8. na_tra

na_tra Member

One advice:

If you buy Memorex from CompUsa or Fry's and have problem with the disc. Call Memorex directly @ 1-888-311-7333 then press 2 to speak with warranty replacement personnel. They will replace your discs for free. They do not even ask for the bad disc. I got a brand new pack of 50 dics from them.

D

9. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

yep you guys were right, where as I dont have a problem with the DVDs in my pc or DVD player or laptop my daughters pc wont even recognise that there a DVD in the machine, ah well at least they work in my player so there not totally wasted.

10. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@ na,

but, the bottom line is u got MORE memorex??? hahahahaha, a 50pk for free? guess you needed some more coasters to keep your tables from getting those water rings left by cups

i have to admit, that is pretty sweet that you got a 50pk for free just buy calling them directly, but, if you have memorex to begin with and they were pretty bad, hence the need to even CALL warranty replacement, shouldn't that tell you something about the next 50pk they gonna send you? hehe

anyways, im glad you got something for nothing, i hope your memorex will hold up for you, it definitely HAS NOT for me, that's why i trashed mine years ago. :)

now if that number were for a REFUND on all my memorex, then we'd be talking here as i still have some bad burns that are completely unplayable now from years ago that i would love to get my money back on...whether it be todays price or the pricing from 2 years ago~ :) now that would be a sign of a confident company, but, that is only in my dreams, to even get a red cent for this crappola i have would be a miracle.

11. rcover

rcover Member

Hello everyone, I wouldn't knock office depot blank dvds. I was using there printables DVD-r and +R. These are Ritek g04 & go5 and never had a bad burn. There prices arn't to bad either. These disc have Office Depot label but are made by Ritek. I paid 14.99 for 15 printables. Hope this helps Cheers Rex

12. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

wow, isn't that like $1/disc???? $14.99 for 15 printables? you can find guaranteed better media online for LESS than the office depot brand you speak of.

they have Taiyo Yudens online at either supermediastore/meritline/rima, etc printables closer to the $0.60-$0.70 each range.

unless you want the 16x TY printables, then we talking closer to a dollar each, but, 8x printables for genuine TYs is what i figure MOST members on here would choose to use, since many, including myself, still burn at 4x, the 16x max is uneccessary in my opinion.

just pointing out where you could save some money on some very good media, the TY printables, for less than you are paying now for your office depot ones~ have a good day and good luck to you.