1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem computer crashed , froze on screen checking nvram

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by xboxdvl2, Feb 7, 2015.

1. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

so today my computer was crashing basically everything was not responding on screen so i hit restart pc. when it restarted it wouldn't boot up or anything, (fans powered on thats about it).I unplugged it checked everything inside the case ( its very dusty i blew as much out with my mouth as i could) but doesn't seem to be anything out of place.
    I managed to get the computer to start and bios loaded and i hit f2 to load with default values and it went to a black screen saying checking nvram and basically stopped there for an hour.I managed to boot the pc now by going to setup and clicking load with default values.
    any idea what caused this?
    can i prevent this from happening again?
    any easy way to fix this if it does happen again?

also running window 7 64 bit.

2. richietea

richietea Regular member

Have you pulled out the graphics card and ran through onboard chipset? Also clear your cmos or pull out the battery and re-insert.Also take out each memory module and test with a re-boot.Another one as well it may sound really idiotic but some people have reported this error with a certain usb device plugged in while booting.Another forum had the memory problem,unplugged a scanner from the usb socket and it worked every time.Not sure if it was just pure fluke as nvram i thought isn't related to usb.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check the capacitors on the motherboard that they are not domed nor leaking.

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

the capacitors look fine from what i can see.after the pc crashed i couldn't even get the pc to try to boot and unplugged all usb cords except wireless keyboard and mouse and then it booted up to the screen checking nvram.pc is running now.

5. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Did you test the power supply? You can bet if it was dusty in the computer then the power supply is filthy.

If the computer is running go into the bios and see if there are power readings. You'll see 3.3v, 5v, and 12v and the voltage should be at or above those individual levels. Flakey power supplies and bad capacitors usually are the culprit for the problems you're describing.

You can also test the power supply by jumping the pins on the atx connector with a paper clip. Then you can read the voltages with a multimeter.

Here's a pinout for the connector.

[​IMG]

6. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

sorry for the late reply.
    pc is running but reset 4 times in a row today ( it was trying to power up then just power cut and reset) im pretty sure you are correct and the power supply is worn out.
    I'm thinking just buy a new pc and copy any data over that i need then if i find someone who can fix pcs get them fix this 1 up.
    I'm embarrassed to take this pc to any computer repair place as they will complain about the amount of dust in it

7. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

If it bothers you that much just take a vaccuum to it and try to get as much dirt out of it as you can. Though it shouldn't matter to a pc repair shop. We find all sorts of things in the pc when cleaning it, the worst are spiders and cockroaches. Dust really isn't that bad if you think about it. Though if I were you I would pull the processor fan, clean the heatsink and replace the psu.

Good luck with it.

8. richietea

richietea Regular member

The amount of consoles i have through the door which are absolutely filthy you wouldn't believe.They are just magnets for dust.Good job here in the uk we have very minimal poisonous critters.Wouldn't like to live in Carolina,open up a pc case and fine a Cotton mouth snake staring me down..