1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer fan problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Ph0BoLuS, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Ph0BoLuS

Ph0BoLuS Regular member

Hi, I'm having some problems with my sony desktop for a while now. The fan on the little box where i plug the power cable into is broken, so i've taken it out and tried to tape it back up, but i think theres too much strain on propellers and it keeps breaking and making noises. So i went to circuit city to buy a new 120mm fan to replace it. I replaced it turned it on and figured out that the fan wasn't spinning. That's only half of the problem.

When i boot up the computer it gives me these options. It says theres something wrong with my power, that it was disconnected or broken or something.

Boot computer in:

Safe mode with networking

Safe mode with (Something)

Safe mode with (something)

Last known configurations

Start windows normally.

I start windows normally, but it just restarts the whole computer over and gives me the options all over. It never did this when I had the broken fan in there, even after i taped it up and everything it still ran fine except for the noise from the fan. I tried taking out the new fan and replacing it with the old one but it still gives me those Booting options. If i buy a whole new power module thing for the computer would that fix my problem?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. elokito

elokito Regular member

1st lets start by calling the "little box where i plug the power cable into" the power supply thats its real name 2nd have u tried booting up in safe mode?

3. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

The message you are getting is telling you that the computer was not powered down properly. I.E. it was just turned off and some files in the windows operating system may have been corrupted. Start it up in safe mode if you can and have your OS disk handy it may ask fo rit. Post up tells what you find.

4. Ph0BoLuS

Ph0BoLuS Regular member

sorry yeah..power supply..

I've tried all of the modes nothing works, when go into safe mode the computer checks a bunch of stuff (goes too fast so i cant read what it's checking) then it just reboots and takes me back to the options.

So I'm guessing the problem isn't the power supply, but what explains the problem with my new fan not spinning?

Should i just reformat the whole computer if this keeps up?

5. elokito

elokito Regular member

u could try repairing the pc to c if u could boot up

6. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Ok it sounds like you can boot up and get to the windows os. You can try this but no guarentees.... Put your windows disk in your cd/dvdrom drive and reboot the computer. IF the computer is looking for the cd/dvdrom drive first it will boot from your windows disk. You can then do a repair of your os by choosing r. If your unsure about this kind of stuff google it and do some reading. :)

7. Ph0BoLuS

Ph0BoLuS Regular member

ok i'll try that and i'll see what happens..thanks for the help