1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Freezes When Converting AVI to DVD. Help?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mobile00, Dec 13, 2004.

1. mobile00

mobile00 Member

Hey all,

I'm not really a newbie at creating DVD's but I'm not an advanced user either so I thought it would be best to post in this section. I have a couple questions.

I have a bunch of AVI movies I'm trying to convert into DVD format and then burn to a DVD+R. I'm using Cucusoft AVI converter to convert it to DVD, then I use IFOedit for the DVD Authoring and then I burn the files to DVD using Nero Burning Rom. Anyway, when I'm using the AVI converter to convert my movie it will take anywhere from 1.5 hours to 6.5 hours depending on the movie. Of course I'm not going to sit there and watch it convert so I'll leave for a while to let it do what it needs too. I'll then come back and find that my computer is 100% frozen and I will have to restart it to get back to windows. The wierd thing is that it freezes sometimes and other times it will convert the AVI file without any problems. Why could this be happening? I'm using a Radeon 9800 Pro video card and I have well over 160 gigs of hard drive space and over a gig of RAM. In other words, it can't be my hardware, could it?

2nd question. I want to uninstall all my codecs and go get a free package of codecs somewhere on the web. Wheres a good place to get all the codecs I could need/want.

If anyone can help me, that would be great. Thanks in advance!

-Evan

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Dear mobile00,
    My experience has been that even with all the necessary codecs installed, different AVI converter programs perform differently. Among the four I have tested, DVDSanta and TMPGEnc 3.0 Xpress are the better ones. On my system, for an avi of about 2 hours, DVDSanta can convert it into DVD format in less than 2 hours. TMPGEnc takes about 4 hours, but has been 100% successful. Other programs either cannot read some avis or would freeze in the middle of a conversion. So maybe you can try the two programs above mentioned.

Re. free codec package, you may want to check out this site:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

3. mobile00

mobile00 Member

anyone else?