1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer hanging issue

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by zubikhan, Jan 14, 2007.

1. zubikhan

zubikhan Member

Well recently my computer has been acting up after 30ish mins it freezes/hangs, so i'm thinking its a software problem so i reformat windows and then everything was going fine untill it froze again while i was playing a game < Trickster Online > at first i thought it was my video card but then i thought it could not be beacuse trickster aint very graphic intensive. so i brought my comp to the store and the guy said that it never froze for him etc etc... and he gave it back too me... and it still froze while playing games or somtimes doing other things like extracting, burning, etc. so maybe it was my video card that might of been overheating so i bought a new video card and everything was nice and sharp, but... it still freezez... i'm not sure wut the problem is, it might bad ram, power supplie im not sure. Oh and when i went to install my new video card i also found a black smokish type substance on my proccesser....

2. onya

onya Guest

Not looking too good so far. Can you post your pc specs..cpu type/speed psu rating etc, the more info the better.

Cheers.

3. zubikhan

zubikhan Member

windows xp pro service pack two, 2.40 Ghz, 1 gb of ram. intel [R] pent 4. graphics card: ATI sapphire Radeon 9550 256 mg AGP.

After i got the video it only freezes when i'm playing a game... i think either my fan is not working or my power supply

4. onya

onya Guest

Checking to see if your cpu fan is working, is straight forward enough.

Sounds like the PSU can't keep up with the gpu. You didn't post the spec rating of the PSU, if it's below 350w, then may I suggest getting the best you can afford with at least 500w plus.

This will provide sufficient amperage to draw from, for now and for upgrades and intalls of extra fans and the like. The most important value in a PSU besides it's rating in wattage, would be it's STABILITY, this cannot be emphasised enough.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Cheers.

5. zubikhan

zubikhan Member

How can i check the power supp?

6. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

The voltage/amperage ratings are listed on a sticker on the PSU.

7. zubikhan

zubikhan Member

Ok its been a while thought I would update, well I fixed the problem it turned out to be the RAM, good bye 1 Gb now im usin 256 : ( its not that bad but 1 gb > 256 ...sigh