1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by federerr, Jul 3, 2007.

1. federerr

federerr Member

I have a HP Pavilion 8250 266mhz Celeron w/ 96mb RAM windows98 i use to play cards and minesweeper and internet on it

when i turned it on this morning it made a bang . i look inside the computer i smell smoke and fan had fell off melted dust everywhere

do i need a new fan? how much they cost?

pleas explain good to me i not know alot of detail thx

2. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

I will asume this is a serious post. Fans cost only a couple of bucks but I'm pretty sure thats the least of your worries, The only thing I can think of that could go bang inside your PC is the PSU or power supply unit but then I'm no expert.
    Probably time for a new computer. No offence but my tv remote has more computational power than that machine.

3. federerr

federerr Member

i think the psu card is ok as i took it out had alook for damage but looks ok

the computer was given to me by a friend a month ago and was told it works fine but if you say its dangerous i take it i could get a electric shock?

basically i was just using it as a spare pc when my pc im using now is being used by the family
    if you would guide me to a fan site i would be thankful

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

smell the computer to locate where the burnt smell is the strongest. was the fan attached to the back of the case or what? does the pc still power up? look at the can shaped objects on the motherboard as they are capacitors, are any domed as they are supposed to be flat topped?

5. federerr

federerr Member

the fan is on a chunk of metal and it fell off the computer and is melted near where the screws are

under that there is a green square thing, when i touched it all of it went to pieces and fell in to my hands it pongs of burnt plastic

do i need a new bios chip?

6. ddp

the cpu is on a slot card but that green square thing is 1 of the main controller chips so appears you need at least a new used p2 motherboard.

7. federerr

federerr Member

many thanks

i think i will chuck computer in the bin as its too much for me to handle

There are many seperate things in the computer i was wondering could i take bits out and sell them? also your advice to what needs taken out.

8. ddp

problem is is what got fried & what didn't. the hd, rom drive(s) should be alright any ram & cards might be alright. keyboard & mouse should be alright.

9. Azrea1

Azrea1 Regular member

even then its not worth anything,just junk ud find in a box at a yard sell marked "free"

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  10. federerr

federerr Member

ok thanks

i have managed to take dvd-rom slot out and given the rest to a local computer shop. When i brought it there they said what happened to processor? i thought it was bios chip lol

At least they can get use out of the rest of parts in there.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

wow an old Pc like that had a Dvd rom drive?