1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer i've built won't post??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by elusiv1, Jun 30, 2007.

1. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Hi everyone, the problem is with this computer that i've built for my father, i'm baffled at why i can't this computer to post to the bios screen, i just get a black screen so i'm thinking the memory is the culprit, here are the specs:

AMD 4800+ socket AM2
    Abit AN52 socket AM2 Motherboard
    2GB OCZ DDR2 800 memory
    250GB Maxtor Sata/150 HD
    HEC Power 550W PSU.
    BFG 7800GT OC

I've already tried 2 video cards that i had as extras for testing, a BFG 6600GT and this 7800GT and still no video, these cards work with no problems. The motherboard and Powersupply seem to be running stable as far as i can tell without powering on and off without acting erratic. Now this leaves me with the processor(highly doubt it's the processor) and memory, the motherboard has two blue dimm slots and 2 black dimm slots.. The manual stated to have both dimms on blue channels or the black channels.. I've tried both blue and black and i still get a black screen on startup?? WTF, could it be that this motherboard doesn't like this OCZ memory? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

disconnect all cables to drives. clear the cmos as have found that to kick start a stubborn machine. try 1 stick of ram into each slot to see if bad ram or a bad slot. try another psu just for the motherboard testing. try the board outside of the case.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's painfully obvious, but make sure you've got the 4 pin connector for the processor plugged in, it's so often overlooked!
    As ddp said, start by looking at each memory module, if you've got a spare PSU it's always a help, although if it turns on, that shouldn't be an issue. Does your case have a PC speaker, if so do you get any form of error code from it?

4. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Hah!! What at an idiot i am, don't laugh at me fellas.. I left the damn ATX 12V cable disconnected!! Duh, as soon as i hooked it up it posted to the bios setup menu. Now i have a the Maxtor 250GB hard without the manufacture disk, how would i install just one drive in a non raid setup, the motherboard book doesn't tell me in detail.. From what i remember from my last build, i turned off raid in the bios, enabled the sata controller, then plugged the HD into sata port 1. Thanks again for all your help guys.

5. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

I just wanted to thank you DDP and Sammorris for helping me out, now i'm trying to get this freakin had formatted so i can install windows. Could i format the HD with disk management on my other PC then bring it back to the new build to install windows? I don't know just a thought, i keep getting Windows can't detect any HD's in Windows setup menu, but in the bios the hd is recognized.

6. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Update:

I'm installing Windows Xp as we speak, i ended up taking the Maxtor to my other PC and formatted with DiskManagement, things are finally looking up now, it only took me roughly 7 hours to diagnose the problem,LOL!! As you guys already know, building your own is never easy.. Hey, thanks again guys..

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem, teach & learn

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No problem, another case example for my advice!