1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer just died....W T F!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Smok86, May 4, 2005.

1. Smok86

Smok86 Member

My friend asked me to look at his comp which just died, plainly died while he was doing something on it. I looked and i really can't figure out what is wrong with it. The power supply makes the little light on the motherboard turn on, so it must be working. My friend thinks it could be the actual ON switch, like the cable not connecting or something. But I have no way of finding out if that's the case or not. We tried using my power supply, we only connected the main motherboard cable, and the light did turn on but that's it, no reaction from the comp after pressing the button. This computer is pretty new, he's had it for like a month, so i'm really at a stump as what could be wrong with it. Any ideas please tell me anything at all, thanks.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check on the motherboard that the can shaped capacitors are flat topped & not domed. reseat the ram but also try 1 stick at a time. disconnect all data & power cables from the motherboard & drives except power cable from psu to motherboard. remove all cards except the videocard but reseat it. try a different videocard, ram & cpu. does the cpu fan spin at all??

3. liuanator

liuanator Member

maybe you burned out a part of the comp.

4. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

yeah make sure your RAM is installed correctly, because once i didnt do it right, and the same exct thing happend to me,, then when i put it in right, it worked fine..