1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer keeps restarting while POSTing

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by BadBone, Jun 19, 2007.

1. BadBone

BadBone Guest

I managed to get my hands on an IBM xSeries 205 (8480 - 62X)Server

Sometimes I press the power button and it lights up, drives spin, but nothing comes on the screen.

But when i put my ear close to the speaker I hear a low pop every 3-4 seconds in sync with the lights on the cd drive, which is what happens when it is starting over.

Other times it comes on. I managed to get it to boot off CD a couple while trying to program it, but when it restarts after copying system files to the hard drive it just restarts and then doesn't come back on, just the poppin noise like it normally does

I've tried changing the memory and the processor and also tested em in different computers so i am sure they are working. I have tried different video cards, both PCI and AGP and still no difference. I've checked the jumpers on the board all set to default. When i managed to get it on i checked out the bios everything is set normal, no overclocking nothing out of the norm.

it uses pc2100 DDR memory and has a 2.0 Ghz processor

PLease Help A Brother In Need

2. ireland

ireland Active member

POWER SUPPLY?

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

disconnect all cables to drives to see what the computer does. check the can shaped objects(which are capacitors) on the motherboard are flast topped & not domed.

4. BadBone

BadBone Guest

OK, i'll check the caps and Try another power supply when i get home from work.

Thanks for the replies

hope its not the caps though, i already have a Optiplex GX270 at home with bad caps. I have the replacements but i haven't developed the courage to try and replace em, i'm still practicing my slodering on spare boards so i don't mess anything up :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2007
  5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

remember not to reverse them as they are polarized. just replace 4 caps on a customer's psu.

6. BadBone

BadBone Guest

I Checked the capacitors, they look fine to me, the tops aren't bulged or anything

I'll try to borrow a power supply this evening and see if thats fixes the problem

7. BadBone

BadBone Guest

Sorry for the delayed response;

I finally got my hands on a power supply, hoping that was cause of the problem with the system.

Unfortunately it is still acting up, still powers up when it feele like. This machine is really begging for it :)

Any other suggestions would be gratefully appreciated, or should i just add it to the trash bin or introduce it to my Sledgehammer.

Thanks in advance

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well you've covered PSU, CPU, RAM and Graphics, that only really leaves motherboard I'm afraid.