1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer locks up when using DVD Shrink...

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by venom285, Sep 2, 2004.

1. venom285

venom285 Member

Every time I try to use DVD Shrink I get to about 20-40 percent encoded and my system locks up. I did check my system resources while trying and it showed that the system (processor) maxed out at 100% for awhile but it locked. I have tried stopping all other programs from running while using Shrink. Before I run Shrink the resources show a very low 3-5% processor usage. I have also tried unchecking the option of using with Nero - and doing it as an ISO with Decrypter. No luck. I am using a 2.4ghz Pentium with 1.5 gigs of memory, 65 gigs free on the harddrive, a fresh defrag (yesterday) on the system. I am at a total loss as to why this is happening.. everybody else seems to rave about this program. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Veblin

Veblin Active member

That sounds like your CPU is overheating. DVD Shrink is very CPU intensive and it will find if there are problems with your CPU cooling. Make sure all your fans are working and that you have good air flow in your computer. Some people open the case up and set up a fan to blow inside at the CPU. You can do that to determine if that is the problem.

3. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

does this happen with all movies or just a certain one?

4. venom285

venom285 Member

so far on all movies.

I opened the box and checked the flow. It's not the greatest - the fan comes on but not a constant. It runs for a few moments and goes off again. I will hook up the external fan and see if that flow helps.

thank you for your help :)

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Are saying your CPU fan is shutting off or a case fan? If it is a CPU fan that's shutting off then hooking up an external fan is not going to help. That is a serious problem that needs to be looked at before doing anything else.

6. michigan

michigan Guest

Get that taken care of ASAP or pretty soon you'll let all the smoke out of your computer.

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

It better be if you want to encode movies :)

8. venom285

venom285 Member

Thank you for all the help. It seems that the fan is the problem. I opened the box and hooked up a small fan to blow inside and it worked. :(

This makes me both happy and sad at the same time...
    I can encode and burn now - but I have to spend some $$$ to have this thing fixed before it fries.