1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Moving Extremely Slow

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by baddassb, Apr 15, 2013.

1. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

Hello,
    I'm having real serious issue now. My computer's been running extremely slow and shutting down on its own. I installed Malwarebytes, did a full scan (which took 3.5 hr). It found items, i deleted them and did a restart. Apparently it started running in the background and i can see it popping up reporting finding and quarantining more files. This went on for hours and it finally stopped after quarantining 1100 (or so) files. I prompted to delete, did so and then computer went slow again. I tried to reboot and received screen warning of possible hardware/software issues, please contact administrator. I tried to F8 my way in to try a restore, but didn't get the option. I started Windows normally, checked Task Manager (which shows 31% CPU usage, but i have nothing running at all. At present, I'm running Malwarebytes again to see if it finds anything again.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. attar

attar Senior member

You can't boot into Safe Mode to try the restore?

3. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

No, it wont give me the option to go into Safe Mode anymore. It's now asking for a HP recovery disk (which i don't have). Also, upon shutdown (which takes a lot of time), I'm getting the message that there are background programs running and do i want to force the shut down -- when there are no programs running (at least up front). Thanks in advance!

4. attar

attar Senior member

Windows7 you can click Start and type msconfig.
    That brings up the config menu..click the boot tab and select safe mode.
    Worth a try.

5. aldan

aldan Active member

what are your computer specs,ie what kind of animal do we have here?

6. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  7. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Like aldan stated above. What are your computer/system specs?

To be honest, I've been using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and AVG for the last 4 years and I have not had any issue with any of my computer.

Another option I would recommend is to:

<> run CCleaner on a daily basis
    <> defrag your hard drive at least once a week

8. Mez

Mez Active member

You may have a botnet infection. They are usually far more sophisticated than virus often not detectable. Just last month a bot net brute broke into thousands of forum/blog web sights cracking the admin account by brute force. Because the attack used hundreds of thousands of zombies each only trying one ID/password each day, none of the brute force protections helped prevent that kind of attack. The even most disconcerting problem is once taken over they encrypted the database so the real admin was completely locked out, then web pages were altered so that users visiting the site would be infected my MANY different sites in China or at least in the cn domain. It would appear the bot net might be getting paid for infecting computers for cash or bartered services from each of the sites. I might add your computer's defenses might be able to fend off and attack from on hostile site but what about being attacked by 20 sites simultaneously? Oh, I forgot just visiting the site starts the attack you don't need to do anything.

Once infected by one of these the best thing to do is buy a new HD format and start over. I would install all the necessary software while not connected to the internet and save an image of your clean system so you don't have to go through that again. One of my threads on this forum has a post from oldtimer lists links for free imaging software.

I would also invest in a top-end firewall. One that will provide complete stealth to your computer. If hackers can't tell if it is even on and connected to the web they will not bother with you. I would expect the displaced bot nets will try to reacquire your computer as soon as it comes on line again. They already have your IP address as well as what they need to know to infect your computer as soon as it comes on line again. Reacquiring your computer will be child's play unless you take action to prevent it.

Good luck!

9. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

I cannot get to START to run msconfig.

It's a HP Pavilion p6203w; M2N68-LA (Narra5); AMD Athlon II X2 215; 16 GB; Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 6150SE; Integrated Realtek ALC888S Audio; LAN: 10-Base-T.

At this point, unfortunately, I'm more willing to do a total recovery back to factory setting, but would really like to access files that are on my desktop. It's now at the point where it doesn't allow me to go into safemode (with or without networking or command prompt). Whichever one I select takes me back to a blue screen with two options: Start Windows Normally or Begin System Repair (which does nothing at all). F11 takes me to HP Recovery Manager, but it only gives the option to backup the other folders -- not the desktop.

I tried the AntiVir Rescue disk (which took 2+ hrs) but once that was completed, I couldn't save the log. During that process, I did notice several detections (24 in total), some of which are TR/Weelsof.NU4,.5,.3 and .2; JS/FakeAlert.168219 java script virus; TR/Kazy.170382.1 (trojan horse?), etc.... How will I be able to run a full system scan with AntiVir (to quarantine all the renamed files) if I can't get to any drives?

I'm stumped now. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all again in advance!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  10. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

hi baddassb,

After you ran Avira Rescue, can you reboot into windows? Just having trouble with the start menu?

let me know all symptoms you got and I'll give you a hand......

2oG

add: I think you are not able to get into windows.. is that right?

11. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Sorry I was in a hurry last post and didn't read yours very good.

I had a ZeroAccess rootkit wipe out my drive a couple of months ago and was lucky enough to have a copy of my boot disk using Acronis. It was the only thing that saved me.

Try using a Linux Boot disc to look at your drive and see if it can be saved..

Here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

2oG

12. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

Correct! I cannot boot into Windows at all. Upon boot, I see the Win7 rotating balls startup screen. I am then directed to the screen opting to either a (1) System Repair or (2) Start Windows Normally. If I select Start Windows Normally, it loops back around to the same startup screen. I am able to F8 (for safe mode), but like I said, after trying Last Known Configuration (unsuccessful) and any of the 3 safe mode options, it takes me back to that two option screen again. F11 takes me to the HP Recovery Manager screen which will backup files and restore to factory settings. If all else fails, I will take that option, but there are files on my desktop that I would like to access and rescue.

Thanks for the assistance!

13. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

At the moment, I'm more concerned with saving the files on the desktop (which I cannot access).

Thanks,

14. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

you should be able to access the desktop with the Linux boot disk.
    give it a try....

2oG

15. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

ok, will do and I will give an update of results!

Thanks again very much!

16. Mez

Mez Active member

Have you thought of buying an empty HD putting your OS of that then add your second disk as D:? You can probably salvage your files that way. You can just keep it as a d: The chance are by moving the disk to D: what ever was running will not hurt you but I would runt it by a few different scanners before I started salvaging anything.

17. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

free 50gb of storage at mega.com once you create an account,comes in handy

@2oldgeek
    ffs you still alive :p

18. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

...but i would like to just identify and repair/eliminate what's affecting my machine. There's tons of programs that i really don't want to reinstall, e.g., Adobe Suite, 3Ds Max, Anime Studio, etc...

Thank you!

19. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

If it is what I think it is, you won't be able to salvage your OS and the programs can always be reinstalled.

Move all data you can get with Linux to another drive, either in the second drive position or a USB drive.. Where there's a will, there's a way! After you move your data, reformat and reinstall the OS.. use your HP, F11 recovery then move your data back and install all of the programs you lost..

2oG

ps @Mez good idea but, he would need way to install the system on the second drive. If he don,t have a disc, the recovery will not install on another drive. catch 22

20. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

Ok, I have a major question. I followed your Linux link, which took me to Ubuntu. Is that correct? I used another computer nearby to burn the CD, and attempted to try it on that good computer just to get familiar with the views and/or instructions. Totally different. I selected "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer". After that, I did not see the option to choose Places / Computer from the menu. It was a Ubuntu desktop screen, with no option to view any files. Is this the view I will see when i boot on the corrupted pc? As you can see, I'm totally confused with it all at the moment.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, as always....