1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Moving Extremely Slow

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by baddassb, Apr 15, 2013.

1. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

*coughs*
    @ op
    2OldG did mention back on page 1 tho i suspect you missed it,my motto is never leave home without one installed.Do it right after the fresh reinstall,you'll never need to bother 2oldgeek again EVER,it does require an external & a spare partition on a 2nd hdd inside the computer,not reside on the same hdd as C as a recovery can't be done unless it's on another drive,always have two of each recovery you make or 3 if you have another hdd as a backup to the backup of the backup,confused now :p

http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Todo-Backup-Free/3000-2242_4-10964460.html

how you start the schedule is over too you or do it manually,main point is make one before you install too much junk & before any ms updates (reason is in case of any ms update corrupted installs),this is your main clean install recovery point never delete it,the rest can be done at intervals,i usually make 5 initial system images including the 1st (never to be deleted),the rest after this point are scheduled to be deleted once each new one is created the last in the list (oldest)gets removed.

recovery with easeus or image program of your choice is done by creating a bootable cd of easeus which is done by the program,you'll need to manually create it,look at bottom of its GUI it's tools-create bootable disk or some such wording

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  2. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Bless your heart scorp, I was hoping someone would catch that. I have never had to fight a malware or reformat/reinstall any of my my computers for years now since installing a second HD and Acronis True Image.. as a matter of fact, I look forward to catching a Trojan or Rootkit just so I can ZAP him.. lol it takes 8 minutes to restore my computer from a backup and all is back like nothing happened.... :)

2oG

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

The bloody things should be mandatory on every computer,the amount of time it could'a saved me when i bought my first comp is measured in days apart from a massive piece of mind,then again you already know that,pisses me off when family members get me to sort their computers out it's 2-3 days wasted having to re-install an OS from scratch then update & install all the software all because of no backup images

4. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

LOL I know the feeling, scorp, after the first couple of kids started that, we had a big discussion about the first 3 rules of computing...
    Rule #1: Backup
    Rule #2: Backup
    and Rule #3: Backup

2oG

5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Haven't heard anything from you, baddassb, Did you have any luck?

2oG

6. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

@scorpNZ,

Hey buddy, thanks for the review on SumatraPDF. I hadn’t heard of it and now I got it. It’s GREAT no fuss, no muss just a simple PDF reader very lite and no crap-o-la.

Mine installed in less-than 1 second! Couldn’t be because I’m running 6 cores at 3.8 (4.2 Turbo) could it? [​IMG]

Cheers,
    2oG

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

There's a portable version as well
    http://portableapps.com/

If you require a slightly more feature full program while keeping it lite there's also nitro reader 3 is lighter than foxit reader

8. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Tnx I don't need any more, this is all I really ever use.

9. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

Hey there,

I've been quite busy all over -- but not really having luck with this computer. I've been trying to sort through the restored files and move them appropriately, but the computer's been trying to install the many necessary updates And now I've encountered a "fatal error c0000034". It never ends. lol

To be continued......

10. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Sorry you are having so much trouble. If you had read some of my stuff on here over the years, I have always said that there are 3 rules to computing 1. backup 2. backup and 3. backup.
    When I build or buy a computer I always install a second HD and partition it for my data and system drive backups. I use Acronis True image but there are free progs that do it very well.
    A second HD is about the cheapest insurance against loosing your C drive to a crash or Malware that you can find...

When you first started I had a feeling that this was one of those ZeroAccess Trojans that Fragment your OS making it, most of the time, UN-repairable and sometimes the HP disk backup does not work very well. That leaves it to starting over with installing the system from a System Disk. I know a System Disk usually doesn't come with computers anymore so, check around your friends and see if you can come up with a Win 7 Disk that you can beg or borrow for a little while.. that's about the best advice I can come up with.

Luck be with you,
    2oG

11. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

Well, I've been on vacation from everything -- work and badly-infected pcs. Ultimately I'm still nursing this piece of hardware. Short recount: i had restored back to factory settings, but upon applying necessary updates, received Fatal Error C0000034 (which is the cause of SP1 update failing). Unable to access computer again, had to do another restore. Just wondering how to get around this happening again. Will turn the pc on again tomorrow and see what happens. To be continued....

I'm still thanking you all for the feedback and will read all posts again on the train tonight. [10:00PMEST]

12. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Go here -> Fatal Error and some heavy reading…

2oG

13. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

If computer was STABLE for a COUPLE of days or so before application of sp1 then it's most likely a kb being the cause,ok here's what i'd do assuming pc is ok at the mo & you haven't attempted sp1 again & assuming it's not a hardware issue.
    Create an image,go grab sp3 & try again bypassing sp1 as it's unnecessary since sp3 is sp1 & 2 combined with bug fixes,also CHECK you don't need any SPECIFIC UPDATE BEFORE APPLYING any service packs especially if you have an AMD cpu,ok i haven't read the whole thread however an issue has arisen with a friends comp where a service pack required a patch for the cpu before application on an xp machine without it the comp was useless after applying sp3

14. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

scorp, he has win7 only has SP1.

15. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

well i was totally off topic then where's a mod when you need one lol

while your here 2old:
    what free version firewalls & antivirus do you put on peeps machines who stick with xp

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  16. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

As a firewall, even if they only have one computer, I suggest a router with a SPI firewall. SPI was built with security in mind and as such offers much higher protection against some of the network attacks that attempt to circumvent NAT protection. If they can't go a router then after SP1 the windows firewall does what it is suppose to by stealthing all ports.

As an antivirus/antimalware I suggest Bitdefender Free for those that don't want to deal with an antivirus and Avast Free for the ones that do. Then, Malwarebytes Pro for all. I have a price notification with newegg.com and when the price of MBAM OEM drops below $15, I buy as many as I can and then install it on every computer I build for free to the customer.

For the security layers I install Bluecoat web protection set to block malware/ spyware sites and anything else they wish to block, also the WOT (Web of Trust) plug-in and Open DNS.

I turn off Microsoft IE and have them use Firefox with privacy and safety plug-ins that we agree on, like:

Self Destructing Cookies
    Anonymox
    Adblock Edge
    Mask Me
    Disconnect Me
    DoNotTrackMe
    HTTPS Everywhere
    HTTPS Finder

I also convince them to install a second drive to keep their Data and an Image of the Boot drive on,
    in case of a disaster…..

2oG

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  17. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

Hello ALL,

Well, I've finally restored this monster. I tried to manually install the SP1 update first, but was getting error code, so I decided to apply the 150 recommended "important" Windows updates yesterday -- another 10 (important) updates are now waiting to be downloaded and installed (which includes SP1). I think I will install the SP1 after all others are installed successfully and hopefully it won't bomb again.

SIDE NOTE: I was trying to restore backed up .wim files and i'm getting this message "(Program:...ckard/TouchSmart/Media/Kernel/CLML/CLMLSvc.exe -- A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated.)" Do you think this is happening because I haven't searched and done any recommended HP updates? smh...

Ok, so I terminated and will wait until ALL Windows updates are applied. I took your suggestion, burned Acronis Seagate DiscWizard to a CD and will try to make an image of the pc before trying to restore data files again. I am currently running McAfee Total Protection.

Will keep you updated. As always, thanks for all the feedback. (11:17AM EST)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  18. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Just a little at a time.. You shall overcome. I got faith in you :)