1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer problem

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by sengailin, Dec 24, 2007.

1. sengailin

sengailin Guest

Dear Experts
    I am having the following problems in my computer

1. Though I am having 1 GB RAM my system is very slow
    2. I am unable to uninstall Arc VideImpression 1.6 ver.
    3. At the time of closing I get the message "WMS Idle" and causes
    to slow down the closure.
    4. Many times, it takes lot of time to open an selected item
    5. Is it necessary to reduce the VGA memory to improve the system
    If so, how to do the same
    6. How to add a second hard disk to my computer

I shall be much grateful if any one could clarify the above
    with regard
    sengailingam
    edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2007
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no email posting as per forum rules above, post edited.
    what is the specs on your pc as in speed, hd free space, ram, videocard & windows version? what anti-virus & anti-spyware programs are you using? is videocard builtin or a seperate card? 2nd hd can be added tho depends on type whether ide or sata connection.

3. techman2

techman2 Guest

And it would help to know what programs that start up at boot up

4. sengailin

sengailin Guest

Sir,
    1. I am having Window SP
    2. Hard disk is with following free space:
    C: is with free space of 7.28 GB out of 18 GB
    D: is with free space of 10.05 GB out of 27.93 GB
    E: is with free space of 20 GB out 30.10 GB
    The system boots with normal programs at initial booting
    Thank you for your initiation

5. jameshtf

jameshtf Member

howdy there sengailin!!!

Well, seems to be that you ain't understandin' somethin': the fact that you have a GB of RAM won't make you a lightnin' quick computer. The processor depends a lot since it's the main thing. I tell you this since you didn't specify which processor you have.

Imagine that the processor is you, and the RAM the table you're working on. You are very skillful doin' something, but a small table won't let you do many things at the same time. But if you're not so fast and skillful, big table won't give you any help but being able to comfortly do one thing at a time.

On the other side, imagine that your toolbox (the program files for each program) has all them tools all scrambled and you take too much time to find the tool and finish your job. This is called fragmentation on the disk. Defragment you disk often, specially if you've installed many programs or if you oftenly use the computer to render a lot of multimedia files.

One more thing: add ons for multimedia applications, specially video (i.e. DirectX, advanced video drivers, plugins, big resource-demanding cards, etc.) cause your computer to slow down even if you think the startup programs screen is clean or if you have toggled them programs you don't want to run at startup.

If you can't uninstall the software you say it is because maybe its program files are missing. The messages you're saying that appear seem to be registry issues. I strongly recommend you to back up your files on the other disk partitions and then reinstall windows, this will clear all you problems. About the VGA thing you said, you need to install a lower driver for you card, but try first reinstalling windows, and see if the problem of the speed gets fixed.

Adding another hard disk or replacing the existing one is the most easy thing ever, but this needs the opening of your PC, which may interfere with your computer's warranty, if it still has some. Here's the steps. NOTE: Disconnect the power source before doing anything on the computer. Cables and metal instruments or parts may short-circuit somewhere on the motherboard roasting your computer on a sec. The guide will help you only to add another HDD on computers with IDE drives only, since some dell and acer computers use SATA drives, which are like the ones that the laptops use, and usually don't support more than 1 hard drive. Just follow the guide and don't make any changes to the connections, BIOS config or anything prior, during or after the HDD installation, unless you know what you're doing.

1) Check that the CPU can hold another HD before purchasing disk. Many computers are built for storing only 1 hard disk, specially those which are small.

2) Open your computer's cpu following manufacturer instructions, they usually have bolts. NOTE: If your PC is a Dell, the CPUs have a trigger lock, which means that they usually have somethin' you have to press or slide to remove a panel or to open the cpu as a book.

3) Check the IDE cable that goes to the hard drive. They are usually about 1 1/2 inch wide and have a connector of about 14 pins (i know how much are they, but don't remember right now). This cable usually has another connector and is tagged as HDD 2. If this cable has only 1 connector, check the cable that goes to the cd if it has a 2nd connector. Don't even try checking the floppy as it's a different type of cable. If you have no cables with 2 connectors, take one out as a sample and go to a local computer store and ask for a 2 connector cable. When goin' bakc to your PC, just reconnect the new cable the same way and place the old cable was.

4) Check the availability of electricity connectors. These connectors are white and have 4 holes, with a yellow, red, white (i think) and a black one. Also check that it is long enough to reach the location of the new hdd.

5) On the connector area, the HD has a set of pins called jumpers, they have a small piece that can be called "bridge". On the HDD sticker, there is the guide on where to put this "bridge" on those jumpers to set the HDD to Cable Select. This will make your motherboard to automatically detect the HD. You can set the jumpers on many different ways, depending on the HDD, but Cable Select is more recommendable.

6)Install the HDD by bolting it on place or whatever is the method to secure it. Plug the multi-pin connector and then the electricity connector.

7) Assemble your PC again, connect power source and turn it on. At windows startup, you'll see a notification for new hardware found near the clock. Wait until it finishes the installation and then go to My Computer. Doubleclick to see if the disk is accessible (if you can put files on it). If not, windows will tell you to format disk. If so, follow next step.

8) If you click OK on the message, you will probably get the Format window. If not, right-click the drive and click on "Format..." . Then, add a name for your drive (if you want) and make sure the option for quick format is not activated. This is gonna cost you more time, but your drive will work faster and better. Hit start and wait until the progress bar is done.

9) Presto! you're now an expert adding a HDD. NOTE: this steps work only if you're adding another HD. If you want to replace the main one, you have to do the same thing, but on the step of "turn on your pc" you have to install windows and all that stuff, and probably you don't need that info. if you need it, just let me know.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  6. sengailin

sengailin Guest

Dear Shri jameshtf
    Thank you for your elaborate pain taking reply and I place my gratitude.
    I am furnishing the configuration of my computer:
    Processor: 3GHs
    HD: 80 GB
    RAM 1 GB
    USB port Available
    Com port available
    printer no printer
    mother board 945 (I think)
    IEEE 1394 installed
    DVD writer installed
    CD writer installed
    Audio installed

my usage:
    Mostly my computer is used for video editing since, my hobby is videography and most of my time is spent for that only. I am having u lead.
    Data: OK I am doing it moderately.
    Kindly help me
    Thank you
    Jambulingam