1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer restarts itself before logon screen

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Jalathole, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Jalathole

Jalathole Guest

when i turn my computer on it boots up goes thru the xp loading screen then when it should be at the logon screen it stays black and then the screen goes into power save mode (sleep mode)and then it restarts again and screen turns back on then it goes to the windows error screen where it asks if i wanna start it in safe mode and i start up normally and it normally works and then everything is fine after that.

my computer is brand new i having just constructed it myself from parts i bought. im not sure weather this is a problem with the OS or the hardware but im guessing it is software because windows loads up.

does anyone know what might be wrong, my bios up to date.

thankyou.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

You might just want to check the settings in your BIOS and make sure everything looks right. I have had similar problems caused by bad hard drives and such but i do not think that is what problem you have.

3. silk42

silk42 Regular member

Sounds like you need to update all of your drivers. Make sure you have the latest video, audio, chipset, etc... drivers. Since you just built the computer, you'll also want to make sure that you have the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. Once you have all the drivers updated, be sure that the OS has all the latest updates as well.

4. Jalathole

Jalathole Guest

i've reset all bios setting to optimised defaults. i just installed the latest graphics driver for the 8800gt and everything seems to be working fine now. i'll let you know if it happens again. thankyou.