1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer restarts on it's own

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by jsmith11, Nov 24, 2004.

1. jsmith11

jsmith11 Member

I just bought an Emachine 3256, have spent hours and hours transfering files and programs and all the stuff that you have to do when you get a new computer, I'm sure you all know. Anyway, it has been restarting on it's own for no reason. Once I was checking my email and that was it so I know it wasn't over worked. I have taken the machine back and had the hard drive switched out so I wouldn't have to do all that again. Now the new has done it 3 or 4 times. I have Spyware Blaster, have run adaware updated since the last time it happened and found nothing. Also have updated and run Norton, and have peerguardian running. Could it be unfortunately the hard drive? I thought maybe it was a power source problem but since it has happened on both machines, makes me think again. Could I really have to go through the pain that makes us all think twice about getting a new computer again. Any ideas? PLEASE!!

2. Jeff53

Jeff53 Member

My computer started restarting (rebooted)on its own whenever it accessed a CD in the drive. Turned out to be a conflict between two burning programs (Roxio & Intervideo pgms)

3. jsmith11

jsmith11 Member

I think I figured it out. When I got the new computer I put the memory from the other computer in this one and I don't think it likes it. They are both ddr 2700 I believe, anyone know why I might have a prob with that? I noticed when I first booted the computer after I installed it into the new computer, it kinda hanged at the screen where the bar goes accross the screen, the bar would stop for a while then it would continue, now that the memory is out it starts right up.