1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer reverted ot factory settings without my wanting so?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by SonGoku21, Sep 8, 2012.

1. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

Hello, I have a problem that may seem a little weird. Last night, All was well, my computer was running as normal, everything as it should be, your normal windows 7 PC. This morning when I woke up, I turn on my computer to see that it has been restored to factory settings. Everything, from the wallpaper I had on, my documents folder, downloads, videos, all gone. Luckily I had Norton antivirus that does a usual back up, so there is a 173 GB back up on my c drive. Heres the thing. After all my stuff is supposedly "gone" windows shows that the same amount of space is taken up on the C drive, and the same amount free. I used Real player to find all the media I had on the disk, and it found every last thing, in the exact same place where it was before. That got my attention. I looked up the files, and there's nothing there. I even checked with "Show hidden files" enabled. Nothing. Any ideas? Any information that you need, I will provide. I have a 3 Year warranty on it, but I don't want to go there yet.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try system restore not system recovery to go back to yesterday or earlier.

3. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

System restore didn't work.

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

If you have a recent backup just restore from that. I would add, however, that whenever I see Norton anything installed on a computer which is having weird problems I suspect a connection. Sometimes there isn't one, but very often there is.

Actually before restoring from your backup I would recommend copying the backup file to a different hard drive if possible. That way you still have it if you run into more problems.