1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer shuts down while ripping DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ripperjo9, Jan 20, 2007.

1. ripperjo9

ripperjo9 Member

Hey I'm a newbie here and I dunno if anyone has had this problem before but its becoming kind of problem as of late. Lately when I have DVD Shrink rip a DVD and its around 40%, my computer shuts off. It's happened on the last couple DVDs I've tried to rip. The DVDs I tried to rip were:

The Tick (Cartoon Series)
    The X-Files: Season 3-Disc 1

When I tried to rip the Tick, I got an error message saying there was a CRC problem. When trying to rip the X-Files dvd, it just shuts down around 40%. I dunno if its the actual DVD, my DVD drive, or a computer problem itself. Any advice would be grateful, thanks!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  2. ripperjo9

ripperjo9 Member

Forgot to provide specs:

Toshiba Satellite
    Pentium 4: 3 GHz
    512 MB RAM
    Windows XP Home-2002

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

How much hard drive free space? You could use more RAM, but you can watch the task manager. My system would be going to virtual memory on the HD with only 512MB. That's what happens when you run out of memory (RAM).

By the way, the mods will get all over you for talking about recording rental movies. That's against the anti-piracy rules here at AD. If Shrink is the only think you're using, you need to get RipIt4Me to go along with it. It's free. http://www.ripit4me.org/guide.html You'll need to install DVD Decrypter along with the Shrink before using the installer.

4. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

@ripperjo9

Using shrink can be very cpu intensive, you can use anywhere from 90-98% of your cpu time while using shrink. What you describe could be caused by an over heated microprocessor during the rip/transcoding process, open your PC case and make sure all the fans are working properly, clean out the dust bunnies, try using shrink with the case open to see if indeed it may be a heat related problem. Worst case, your power supply may be failing and will need to be replaced at some point.

Other rippers/transcoders are also available (free as mentioned) which are easier on the microprocessor, give them a shot when shrink is unable to cut it.

5. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@ripperjo9

If you do install ripit4me, install DVD decrypter first from above link

Then install ripit4me from the above link also, but use the rip it4me installer which installs programs +fixVTS+help files all in one install. In red at bottom of the install intro.

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

ripperjo9,

In the future we don't need to know where or how you got your movies - 99% of the time it has no bearing on our ability to help you. When you post that you're burning movies from Blockbuster it is openly admitting piracy and that pisses off alot of folks around here including Moderators like me.

7. ripperjo9

ripperjo9 Member

Thanks for all the help, i'll try all the methods

8. ripperjo9

ripperjo9 Member

Hard Drive space left: 7.24 GB

How can you tell if you run out of RAM?

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The taskmanager shows the initial RAM requirements of your system and does a running tally of what's being used.

By the way. You don't have enough free space to do a full length movie properly. A rule of thumb with transcoders is twice the size of the video and then add some for space for the HDD to work. You can't work with a totally filled HDD. You'd need about 10GB free and preferrably about 12 or 14. A DVD usually runs about 7GB. You either rip that to the HDD or use something like AnyDVD and decrypt on the fly (even more RAM required). Your temp file has to hold the transcoded file in preparation to burn or it has to be put on the HDD. There you have about 4.37GB. I think you get the idea. Free up some hard drive space so your system can work.

10. ripperjo9

ripperjo9 Member

Actually early in January, I was down to 4 GBs and was still able to use DVD Shrink properly. I have a 320 GB external HDD so i basically send the DVD files to the external. I just don't know why I can't do that right now. I was able to rip the DVD using DVD Decrypter today so I'm thinking I should just use other programs in the meantime. Its just weird how it worked earlier but I haven't copied a DVD in the last two weeks and now doesn't work.

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Then you have more than 7GB of free space. You count whatever is attached to the system, internal or external. But getting within a few GB of your master drives capacity still isn't a good idea. Where is your temp file located?

If you want to see if your system is breaking down from loading the system, download OCCT (freeware) and run it for an hour or so. It's meant for stress testing for overclocking but would be a good test in this case.

12. ripperjo9

ripperjo9 Member

Thanks for the advice, running the program as we speak. My temp file is located in the C drive. What does the "torture" option do by the way?

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If you want o clear up some free space you might try WinDirStat - it's a great little app that gives you a visual display of how much space each file on a drive is using. You'd be surprised at the crap you find hogging space even though you think you know exactly what's on your drive.

[​IMG]

Here's the link if you're interested,

http://windirstat.info/

Ccleaner is great for clearing out junk, temp files and unused directories,

http://www.ccleaner.com/

14. ripperjo9

ripperjo9 Member

@PacMan: How did i check the report after running the OCCT program? I was actually running that program and the computer just shut down again but I ran it again and went through fine.

Now I have cleared up my hard drive and now have 32 gigs of space. I also used DVD Decrypter and DVD Debuilder to compress the files. Both of these still don't work. I was using Shrink and got to 93% encoding before it just shut down on me. I also have defragged and used a registry cleaner as well. Hopefully this isn't about my power supply. Thanks for the advice so far!

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The torture test is for loading your system and seeing how it works when the processor is working near full level. That's when the PC will shut down if the processor breaks down or overheats (or your power supply can't hack it). Something appears to be breaking down under stress. I believe I understood you to say it died once while running OCCT. That indicates you may be having hardware problems. My opinion it's time to see a professional to have the hardware checked. Like you said, it could be the power supply or it could be the CPU getting ready to give up or maybe something else.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  16. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

@ripperjo9

Did you try this as suggested?

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

johnl123 is right, you can't have the fans and PSU full of dust. You can use Dust Remover (canned air) to remove most of the dust in a PC. Be careful blasting directly on fragile components though. If you haven't dusted in a while, find a well ventilated area you don't mind getting dusted. ;)

18. ripperjo9

ripperjo9 Member

I haven't tried the dusting thing yet but i finally did get it to work but I used InterVideo's DVD Copy 5 with DVD Decrypter. Seems to work fine although I will go ahead with the dusting and probably will see if my warranty isn't up cause if it isn't, i'll just bring it in for a check up.

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

It's not normal for it to be shutting down that way. You've got something wrong. So if the ventilation isn't being impaired by dust you may want to take it in for a checkup even if out of warranty. Good luck and I'll hope you're just dusty. ;)