1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer slower after adding more ram

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jimbowen, Apr 29, 2011.

1. jimbowen

jimbowen Member

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with this. I previously had a 256MB stick and a 512MB stick of ram installed in my PC, but decided to upgrade by swapping the 256MB stick for a brand new 1gig stick (and it is the right kind of ram). My computer now and again runs alot faster, but 90% of the time it is incredibly slow, especially running applications. Anyone got any ideas?

2. AssKlown

AssKlown Regular member

does it show the correct amount of ram under system properties, or during boot up? You may have to press the Pause/break button (located on top of the Page UP button) during post to see what its showing. Maybe its not recognizing the new 1 gig stick, and only running with 512.

Also if the timings of the 2 sticks are not matched, then the faster stick will actually run at the same speed as the slower stick.. ALWAYS better to run 2 matching pairs of Size and Speed.

3. jimbowen

jimbowen Member

thanks for replying. The ram shows up just fine, and have taken the 512 stick out so that its just running the 1 gig stick but still hasnt made any difference.

4. ntense69

ntense69 Member

pc may need a defrag or to many programs running

5. Shiney7

Shiney7 Guest

What OS are you running??

Win 7 will be Dependant on whether you are using the 64 bit version to make the maximum use of the ram.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Shiney7, doesn't matter what version of windows or bit version as that is not the problem.

jimbowen, next time it is slow, do a properties on "my computer" to see if still showing full amount of ram. check on the motherboard that all the silver topped cans which are capacitors are flat topped not domed nor leaking brown stuff.

7. jimbowen

jimbowen Member

thanks for the replies, Im running xp sp3 32-bit. have checked the capacitors but there fine. have ended up wiping everything off and re-installing windows and the speed seems normal again. The only problem now is i cant remember what audio driver i need, lol. Nevermind, thanks for all the help.

8. ddp

if soundcard is built into motherboard then what is the make & model# of the computer or motherboard?

9. jimbowen

jimbowen Member

make is packard bell, not sure of the model tho, i dont think they make them anymore. how would i find the motherboard specs?

10. Shiney7

Shiney7 Guest

Try this it's free

Code:
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

11. ddp

model# of the pc will be on front or back of it.

12. jimbowen

jimbowen Member

Thanks for all the help people, but have found the driver i needed (realtek stac'97) and have downloaded various versions, but everytime i try to install it windows interupts and says its not genuine, or something like that, and my pc cuts out. I'm going to buy a cheap second hand soundcard off ebay and install that. Once again thanks for all the responses.

Last edited: May 31, 2011