1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer slows down after watchin movie or playing large game.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Necr0man, May 12, 2007.

1. Necr0man

Necr0man Member

Ok, my system runs generally fine; I can surf the net, play most games, burn dvds, listen to music, basically anything I want except for right after I watch a movie that is stored on the hard drive or play a game that takes a lot of resources like Counterstrike or Doom 3. While I'm watching the movie or playing a game I don't actually have any problems, everything runs smooth... but the second I shut down whatever I'm running and try to use ANYTHING even just a browser everything starts bogging down like crazy and I have to reboot. I'm running an AMD 1.39GHz system with 512MB of RAM and a Radeon X1600 Pro video card along with Windows XP Professional with no service pack (system ran bogged down like I'm describing but the entire time when I had SP2).

I've been having this problem for a couple years now and tried reinstalling windows, doubled my ram from 256MB, and went and got a new video card. I'm more than likely going to be getting a new version of xp, motherboard, and processor within the next few months but just wondered if anyone had and ideas what was wrong. Any tips would be greatly appreciated Thanks :)

2. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

more ram will definately make things go much smoother, that processor might need to be replaced, and make sure you have no spyware, viruses or anything else that might take up a lot of your memory.

3. iani_2006

iani_2006 Regular member

Have you checked your cpu temperature before you play a game or a movie and after ?

4. REAM

REAM Guest

you may have a dust build up on your psu or your proccessor fans.

check these.