1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COMPUTER START UP

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by matttt, Dec 18, 2007.

1. matttt

matttt Member

My pc wont start properly i always get the black screen( we apologize for the in convince...windows didn't start properly) even we i reformat and install windows again... i have a compaq PC with XP home ...anyone knows what should i do.... i tried everything and it just getting worse..do you think replace the hard drive will help? or is it time for
    a NEW PC...

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If you have another hard drive that you can try, I would format it, and see if the same thing happens.

Have you tried to boot up in Safe Mode?

3. matttt

matttt Member

YES, i tried safe mode, i tried reformat it i still get the same,i tried taking out hardware i added i still get the same problem???? im hoping if i get a new hard drive might solve the problem...should i get one?

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I certainly would try another hard drive.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've had a hard drive that can install windows but not boot it, the HDD could well be the issue.

6. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

matttt it sounds as if you may have some bad sectors on the drive. you can try a new drive or check mfg site for diag tools. As granpabw said if you have a spare drive I would try that first as the tools are easier to run when windows is working. I too have had drives that would format and install then not boot up.
    good luck

7. matttt

matttt Member

thanks guys i will try that..and see what happens.. if not i will buy a new hard drive ....any recommendations for hard drives to buy??

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Different people are partial to different brands. I personally usually go for WD drives, but I've owned several different brands and never been really dissatisfied with any of them.

9. matttt

matttt Member

i bought a brand new seagate 250 hard drive and i installed it and i still get the same problem ...now what..

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Does your PC have more than one stick of memory? If so, try removing one and see if the problem occurs, if it does, try the other stick. If it still does, get back to us. If after removing one of the sticks it doesn't, then you've found your problem.
    If your PC only has one stick of RAM try replacing it anyway, or if you have a spare, use that.

11. matttt

matttt Member

yes i do have 2 of them the origina was 128 so i added 1 i cant remember what it was i iknow its bigger but i will try your idea and see but i have to wait few hours between each rest because that when it happens.

12. matttt

matttt Member

YES THAT DID WORK FOR ME ONE RAM SD STICK AT THE TIME... THEY BOTH WORK FINE IN ONE OF THE SLOT? SLOWER COMPUTER.. OH WELL ..PROBLEM SOLVED..THANX FOR HELP.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Right, one of your memory slots is broken then. If the motherboard supports larger memory sticks, you could try buying a single stick of a larger size, but in reality, it's probably best to get a new motherboard, or a new PC if that means significant spending...