1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer want start

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ILL-C, Feb 10, 2007.

1. ILL-C

ILL-C Member

I have this emachine that want startup. the fans on the inside runs when i hookup another power supply but i can't get any video out of the system. for that matter i'm not sure if the processor or ram is shock. I'm thinkin the Tower got struck by lighting or suffered a power surge. And idess of what could have happened and how to fix it would be useful.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

take a look at the can shaped objects on the motherboard, these are capacitors. they are supposed to be flat topped not domed & not leaking some brown stuff

3. ILL-C

ILL-C Member

naw they look normal i mean i work on alot of computers and this is the first one that i've recieved with a problem like this i had a newer model of emachine that i got the power supply out of and hooked it up. all the fans started runnin but the system want shut off when you hold the power button and the power led want come on nor can i get a picture out of it i haven't tested the sound yet.I can't think of any thing that would keep the power button from working and if i need a new switch why isn't the power led workin is what i'm thinking.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

disconnect all cables to drives, remove all cards & ram except for videocard & a stick of ram. reseat those 2. try another videocard & ram.