1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer will not start

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by GiantMike, Oct 7, 2007.

1. GiantMike

GiantMike Regular member

I've been working on a Thinkpad a21m laptop. It's got a new motherboard and a new keypad. But I'm having problems getting it to start.

Without the power adapter, it will not turn on or even light up any LED's. When I plug it into the wall with the power adapter, the battery LED turns green for about 5 seconds then goes yellow / orange. I'm assuming this means the battery is bad. is that correct?

However, every once in a while, It stays green and when I press power button, another LED turns on. It looks like a Z or an N with a circle around it. but nothing happens.

No display, no noise, but i have no speakers, so ive been listenign through my headphones

2. WIIIIIIII

WIIIIIIII Member

Could it have something to do with the fuse? Check

3. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hi, when you say it's got a new motherboard and keyboard you mean these have been replaced recently? Who did that? It's possible they didn't connect something up properly. Why did they have to be replaced in the first place.

Try taking the battery out altogether (there should be one or two latches that you have to open on the underside then you can easily remove the battery) keep the charger plugged in and turn it on then and see what happens.