1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer won't boot up

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by eerie, Mar 4, 2005.

1. eerie

eerie Member

Hey all. I just recently built a computer (my first time) and it won't boot up at all. After I turn on the power via the switch in the back, the computer turns off itself within a few seconds. (It's strange that on other computers, I flip the switch and then have to manually turn it on via the power button but this one turns on just after flipping the switch)

The computer is an:

Athlon 64 3500+ Newcastle core
    Aspire 480W PSU
    2x512 (Crucial?) DDR PC2700
    Plextor DVD+/- Burner
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd take it in for diagnostics but figured you guys could help me out before I shell out $40 just for that. Thanks a ton.

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

First thing I would look for is that the ATX power switch is properly connected to the motherboard. There should be a row of pins where your speaker, reset, ide lights, and power buttons plug in. Make sure that the one coming from the power button on the case is on the right jumpers.

3. eerie

eerie Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Xian. I re-checked to make sure that the power supply cord is on the correct jumpers and they are as specified by the manual. I'm at a loss for words as to what could be wrong.

I also forgot to mention that I'm running it with a Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb and that I get no beeps whatsoever before the computer turns itself off.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

reseat all cards, ram, cables(both data & power) to motherboard & drives. make certain pin1 of the ide cables are in right way. check that the cmos jumper is in normal not clear position. if still do it than remove board from case & isolate the board so can use the power supply. post results

5. eerie

eerie Member

I think I may have found the culprit: the motherboard. I first thought it was the PSU but when I tested it in my old computer, everything worked great. Now, with the PSU in the new motherboard, the computer doesn't even turn on any longer. The LED light on the mobo still turns on but nothing happens when I press the power (and I made sure all the necessary cords were plugged in). Any thoughts before I send it back? Thanks for those that have made suggestions.

Edit: On second thought, could the processor be at fault? If it was faulty, would it cause the computer to not turn on at all? I can't test it because my older mobo isn't socket 939. And as an aside, I've always wondered where one was supposed to apply the thermal paste that one buys so is the location the processor? Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  6. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

I would swap the motherbaord with the same one and try it then. If it still doesnt work then it could be bad ram or proc.

The thermal paste/grease should go inbetween the processer and the heatsink.

7. eerie

eerie Member

Thanks for the reply, matty.

I have an update: the computer now turns on and remains on but all I get is a black screen; no POST, just a black screen. Any other suggestions as I'm running out of ideas.

8. ddp

remove all cards & ram except for video card & 1 stick of ram. remove a cables that go to the drives from motherboard. try different video cards pci/agp & sticks of ram. try isolate board from case but still use case psu. try a different psu

9. eerie

eerie Member

ddp, I have tried with only one stick of ram, the video card, and the mobo, still no post. I don't have another psu so I can't check on that, unfortunately.

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

eerie

Another thread had almost the same thing, and found out that one of his two sticks were bad. Try it with one and then the other, just to see.

11. t4ki0n

t4ki0n Member

I'm having the same problem! I don't even hear any vocal POST message. I disconnected things and took things out one by one until I was left with just powering it on without even a CPU, and it did not even tell me that a CPU was not installed! I tried switching around the PC Speaker plug but I still didn't hear anything. I'm SURE my PC Speaker works. it's just dead with the green LED on the motherboard on, and the 12V ATX power plug also plugged in, and that's it.

12. ddp

check that all cans(capacitors) are flat topped not domed

13. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

I believe the memory is required to run 200/400DDR and so you would need PC3200 minimum.
    Typically any PC that will not reach POST (ie. 'hit DEL for setup') has either misconfigured CPU/mobo, or misconfigured/inappropriate/defective memory.
    Your competence to perform an Athlon64 build is immediately suspect (no offense).
    But that's why we're here! :)
    Try installing 1 stick of PC3200 or better, then go through the setup in the mobo manual item-by-item, before you fire it up.
    Note: make sure stand-offs (in case) are configured for your A8V only. Remove all that are inappropriately placed, that previous mobo might have used! This can also cause problems you have described.
    Keep us 'posted', eerie :)
    Regards

14. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Try removing all the MB mounting screws and space the mb away from the case bottom. Then try to power it up. You may have a screw grounding the MB. If it works that way, then install the screws one at a time and recheck. If it acts up again with a certain screw then thats the one grounding the MB.

Jerry

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  15. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

Well here is a simple suggestion,, which i highly doubt will work,, but its worth a try, is the power supply ok? is it putting out enough to power everything up? check it by testing with an old box..

16. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

unless the power supply is bad, that is more than enough power to run the things you have easily..... Have you cheked jumper settings, power connection, CPU seated properly......

17. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

eerie

And the verdict? Any more news for us?

18. eerie

eerie Member

Hi, sorry for the late reply everybody; I've been at work all day and have to go to a friend's house just to use his computer.

ScubaBud, the sticks of ram work (apparently, since my old computer works when I put everything back in it) but are PC2700 and I'm guessing that translates to DDR333? I read the mobo's box and on the side it states "Dual Channel DDR400" and I suspect that might be the problem.

jaydeeX3, I have looked over the jumpers, tried another PSU I recently borrowed from a friend, and made sure the CPU was seated properly. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

ddp, I'm not sure what you mean about the capacitators. Thanks for your numerous suggestions, I know you've been trying to help me a lot and appreciate it :)

Jerry746, in essence, do you mean that the power is grounding itself because of a screw? (instead of staying within the mobo and the components hooked up to it.) If that is so, then would the fans still receive adequate power to spin and the LED lights (on the mobo and the front of the case) to turn on?

The_OGS, yes, this is my very first build and I suspected that was where thermal paste was to be applied but I wasn't sure because my CPU's have odd warnings about voiding the warranties if other paste is used. And you have great suggestions that I will try out shortly, not to say the others weren't. I may have overlooked whether the 'default' stand-offs 'fit' properly.

Thanks for the help, everyone, and I will keep you up to speed (yes, I was tempted to say posted, too :p)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  19. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

It doesnt matter about your mobo saying ddr400, that just means it can support upto that speed. If you have ddr333(pc 2700) then it should work unless it is bad.

Did you say you have tried another psu?

20. eerie

eerie Member

Everybody, thanks for your help. I caved in and took it to a shop and the verdict was that the mobo was bad. I'm sending it back hopefully for a refund as I decided then and there to just get a board there. I will now be attempting my first bios setup and I'm thinking that will go smoothly.

matty, I figured as much but I was *really* reaching for straws by then ^__^ Thank you nonetheless. You guys have been wonderful and I truly appreciate all your help. I only hope that the knowledge I gained from this ordeal will lessen another's. Thanks.