1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer won't boot

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sparksman, Jan 1, 2008.

1. sparksman

sparksman Member

I was installing some new RAM in a laptop yesterday. It was a Dell Latitude D620. It has 1 Dimm slot underneath and 1 under the keyboard. After installing the new memory the computer won't boot. It wont even get to the point where I can get into the bios. I took the memory out and put the original memory back in and tried to boot up, but it kept doing the same thing. So I then took all the memory out and still nothing. Did I kill my motherboard? Thanks in advance!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

was it ddr2 ram? is the laptop still under warranty?

3. rch0621

rch0621 Member

put old mem, back in make shure laptop is unpluged and take out battery hold power button down for at least 20 seconds to drain all power out of laptop , then try ac power only, mite take a few trys.allso did laptop come up with a mesg, like wrong mem, installed laptop shutting down when you tryed new mem,

4. sparksman

sparksman Member

When I put the new memory in it did nothing. I can't even get to the bios. It shuts down after 2 seconds. The RAM is DDR2. It is the RAM that Dell said was compatible. I will try what you siad about taking the battery out. Thanks!