1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer won't start after moving motherboard.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by benk81, Aug 23, 2004.

1. benk81

benk81 Member

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why my computer won't start?

I removed my motherboard in order to punch some holes in the case, then replaced it, and now the computer won't start up at all - that is, nothing happens when I press the power button.

I know the problem is not the power supply as the network card link light comes on (and I already tried another power supply). I have checked the leads that come from the power button to the motherboard and they are still in place. Similarly with all of the power cables.

Could I have somehow fried the motherboard, or is there something else I should try?

Thanks in advance.

2. askyew

askyew Regular member

Are you sure that you don't have a short(case on MB)? Try removing your mb set it on a towel. set up with minimum components ie mb,video card,1 stick of memory,power supply,monitor. Short the start pins and see if you can get to the bios. If you can then start slowly adding parts back(os hard drive,memory,cards,ect)one at a time and start up each time you add a piece of hardware.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]P4 2.8c @ 3.2
    Abit IC7-G
    2x80 gb seagates barracudas
    ATI AIW 9600 soft mod by w1zzard
    2 x 256 pc 3200 Kingston valueram(hynix chips)[/small]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

As askyew stated, sounds like a case ground. One of the insulators may have come off behind one of the mounting screws. Should be a plastic or fiber washer on most of the mounting screws to keep from grounding the MB.

Jerry

4. benk81

benk81 Member

I've tried disconnecting everything, placing the MB on a towel and shorting the power-on pins but to no avail. It's wierd, cos like I said the link light on the onboard network card lights up, but nothing else seems to respond. I'm starting to resign myself to the fact that it's not going to pull through...

5. askyew

askyew Regular member

Post your hardware please. Did you try the minimum boot? Are you getting any fault beeps? Do you have power LED's on your mb?