1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computers 10 years from now?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by JSRife, Jun 24, 2004.

1. JSRife

JSRife Guest

What kinds of things do you see happening in the Computer world 10 years from now? How fast will Processors be? Will their even be processors?

2. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

well just look at the way they have come in the last ten years you may be talking A.I????

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Internet2, large scale quantum computing

4.0Ghz.

No.

4. DumbBlond

DumbBlond Member

hopefully they will be so intelligent they will do all my work for me so i get a big redundency check, then i can sit on the beach getting a tan, a fat ass and drinking beer all day

or

have you not seen terminator 3 come on its Arnie it must be real

lol

seriously, i reckon that electronics will all be three dimentional reflecting plastic that a laser can send and receive signals millions of times faster and store thousands of gigs of data,
    hey i'm working on it(thats if that redundancy check does'nt come!

5. Praetor

Gosh for a "dumb blonde" you deal with some awful fancy stuff :)

6. DumbBlond

DumbBlond Member

er...and that's just my weekend project....

what do you guys think will replace dvds(that belongs in this thread because erm its a hardware backup topic)

Why the nick 'praetor'?

7. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Seriously 10 years for now I don't see home computers at all. Only techies like us will have them, or paranoid freaks like me.
    I honestly see the future going the way of the google joke or reality. Homes will have work station (the HD-TV) and all the software and major hardware power will be in some other country. This would allow for a mounthly charge, no worry about virus or worms for the average person and easy transfer of files to friends or co-workers. As socitey ages, I really see this happening. The only things you would need at home are a screen (the tv), something to add old stuff (DVD player) and some thing to enter in data (a keyboard or remote).

Hmmm this would be possible today with an Xbox, are we surprised Microsoft went into the console market.

8. john179

john179 Active member

Pc's will alway's be around as there is so much money to be made out of them.If all us pc buffers were rich and we could afford anything we would be buying upgrades weekly.Because there is so many of us and we buy on going they will never die.The question you ask now where will they be in ten years you will constantly be asking yourself for decade's if your lucky.Long live the pc the best invention ever.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

In ten years the Pentium as we know it now will have reached its physical limits, engineers can only reduce its die size for so long before molecules start colliding. I'm thinking that we'll be moving into entirely new areas of technology. Perhaps Nano technology will rise from its infancy and begin its slow clmb to the top. My best guess is that the currrent CPU architecture will evolve into increased processing power by making a single chip effectively 2,4, or more CPU's in a single chip (not hyperthreading).

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Well the quantum computers are starting to work. So space will not be a limit when that project is complete.

What a quantum computer is it works on atoms an mollecules. Electrons have spin, up and down. SO if you can control the crystaline state of an electron you have a one and zero for each of the two spin states. thus data is conntroled on an electron size unit. This is so small that basically if working correctly all the computers in the entire world right now would fit into a drinking glass. IBM is making good leaps with this. They are soon to release there new chips, useing electron tunneling. I think with in 10years we may start to see the first generation of quantum computers.

But with that said I still see the home user only being a terminal. Just think of the money, instead of buy adobe photoshop for $1000, why not rent your user time. Which if you work out the numbers looks cheaper so more will sign on. but is additively more expensive. Like leasing a car, over all the payments you pay more. But the terminal software future, no problems with just you downloaded by accident. I still think the home user will just have a screen and plugs to input there tech portable toys.

11. Praetor

Not to be too picky but dont you mean "feasible, large scale" quantum computing? Like I mean, dont they already have 4bit Quantum Comps? :)

12. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I know, but I can't buy one right now. In ten years I think you would be able to walk into future shop and buy one.
    So yes, to your question.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  14. Praetor

Oh very kewl ... very kewl!

15. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Sophocles, that was very general but very well writen document. I was trying to get to the same point in my description. I just keep forgeting that most people here didn't take quantum mechanics and don't have a chemistry background.

The real cool thing is this will be a reality. Talking to IBM people, a lot of the limitations and the "How in the world do I do that" statements are starting to be solved. So I would expect first better chips (Memory and storage) and soon quantum systems.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

@Prisoner

I think that my earlier post on the continued optimization of current technology's is the most likely scenario for the next decade or so. Who knows, two or more CPUs housed in a single chip might be a good direction. We'd still see significant speed increases for a few more years. But nano technology has the best chance for a longterm applicable technology, because it's technology that's almost at the limits of what's Physically possible to manipulate.

17. gotisos

gotisos Guest

Just give me 80 gigs on chip cache and I'll be set!!!

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I suppose you mean on the die memory, and therefore mean that it's running at full chip speed. Hmm! That would be one hell of an L2 cache. LOL

19. gotisos

gotisos Guest

I hope processors take a step in that direction, it would do away with slow FSB transfers, and make ram obsolete. load times, what load times this games embedded in my processor, :drools:

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Why not? Until new technologies such as nano technology are in place, we have to make the most of what we have.