1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computers 10 years from now?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by JSRife, Jun 24, 2004.

1. medialife

medialife Member

One possibility I see is flash media being made to store such large quantities of data that it replaces hard drives as we currently know them. Flash media is currently much faster (and more compact, durable, etc.), but also much, much more expensive. Solving this problem and making it ideal for home use seems very plausible.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

medialife

Hard disks are dated technology and it's very likely that some form of flash memory will take the place of hard disks.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Definently agree. With in the next 5 years if Terra discs don`t make it big, I can see a full replacement of spinning hard disks with Flash Like chips. Right now the Compact flash is at 4Gb, really expensive but its there. Scaling that up in multi chip design rather than single layer, I can`t see being that hard. Would be slower, but still faster than a current hard disk.

I would like to to see the end of moving computer parts, too slow, too hot and take up too much space. Lets make the world solid state.

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I wouldn't speculate too much on the next 10 years, but I'd definitely say solid state storage is the biggest computer technology leap in the forseeable future. Since mechanical drives are the biggest bottlneck on current computers I consider this the most important improvement we could make right now.

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Indeed, outside of 18months, anything is pretty much anyone's guess :) .. a lot of neat technologies rapidly developing ... course look at DVDs ... they've been "in the works" for quite some time now and yet we still have this -R/+R issue heehee

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Well thats what happens when the common man is added to the equation. Most of really high tech fun computer stuff is for the geek like me. But the common man is what makes it cheap. I do see major issues in the future and it does take about 5 to 10 years for a good new tech to make it big. Cd`s were 10, DVD`s I think were 5.
    But elimating all moving parts is something we need. But I heard a report on chips you could imbed in your arm that have your entire medical history. Master card is looking at this for credit charges. In competion with retina scans. This is scarry, yet cool at the same time. "Yes just swip your arm sir/madam"

7. gotisos

gotisos Guest

AKA 666. Along the same lines of the "Biochip"

8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Ya its quite scarry. But we will see who wins the Retinal scan (Minority report) or the imbeded chip. Both would be done at birth. But atleast the chip I could pry out of my arm with a knife. Going through eye surgury would be a pain.

But on the topic of the thread, I think we will see some really crazy security features in the next 10years for computers.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I think both are already in use in a limited fashion and with the new airport security measures being put into place, I'm putting my money on retinal scans. Unlike chips they can't be removed or altered. Yea I know they did it in Minority Report.

10. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Guest

retinal scans while in use are still very limited. and they still have lots of flaws. anyways,,,i think in 10yrs. were going to have a computer built-in to our living place. it'll be like in the wall...and you program it yourself like an AC unit. it can tell what room your in, what your doing, when your next appointment is, like a dayplanner...cept digital and it is inside your house. anyone read the book "Fahrenheit 451" ? its very good...has alot to do with mankind and technology.

11. Praetor

And how do retinal scans deal with blind people? :S

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Blind people still have retinas.

13. Praetor

Yes but arent' they "deformed" or whatnot (pardon my naivite)? And while "normal" eyes may be unique... people who get severe burns and such ... eyeballs burn the same way for everyone ... so wouldnt it be the case to no longer have unique retinas?

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Anything is possibe but since retinal scans are designed to identify people who have limited access to a secure area or to identify someone who is a possible threat. I don't expect to see a lot of blind terrorist but even a deformed retina would still be unique.

http://ctl.ncsc.dni.us/biomet web/BMRetinal.html

Perhaps they will find a way to scan for genetic material, that would truly identify a person as unique.

15. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Guest

some are deformed...others are just not functioning (retinas) mine are slightly mis-shaped and set back too much (hence VERY bad eyes i have lol) but they would still scan i imagine. thumb scans are for people without eyes lol...that or they have a digital retina created for them on a card..and just scan through...all digital eyes are different too. just thinking out loud..

16. Praetor

That make sense in a military enviornment ... but not airports.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

They're already considering the use of retinal scans in a limited fashion in some Airports to speed the boarding process. You go to the airport and volunteer a retinal scan which is then used to quickly identify you before boarding.

http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,47202,00.html

http://itotd.com/index.alt?ArticleID=212
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
  18. Praetor

Yeah that's what i was referring to.... saw that on CNN a couple weeks back ... how do those work for people with "nonstandard retinas"?

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Follow the second link I posted, I think it's explained there.

20. Praetor

Yeah i did... a tad general but i'm sure the people doing this stuff know what they're doing!