1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computers 10 years from now?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by JSRife, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Size of chips are going to have to change as processor manufacturers are hitting a "wall" so to speak. I really don't care for the size of a chip, for me it's evolution. I would rather have faster/better stuff now than have to wait for "smaller" implementation of the device. My greatest want would be fast almost instantaious transfer speeds of files. Applied to say Bluetooth type devices, USB devices (like flash devices), storage devices in general. So when I have to back up or fix a PC, I don't have to wait and wait and wait for the full installation of an OpSys or transfer of info from one media to another to help the instal (Office Products, Norton etc.).

I mean what is the point of having a 10 ghtz Proc. and gigs of HD space when it will take you HOURS upon HOURS to transfer large files to portable USB devices needed to make your work easier? Example, I just picked up a 120 WD JB HD (If you know what exactly I meant then tou are a Techie! But back to my point) plus external enclosure and it took me 3 hours on a USB 2.0 connection to transfer 1 FOLDER!!! Granted it was like 8 gigs of info in thate folder but damn it gets annoying!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Please Search before posting http://forums.afterdawn.com/search . Here is my PS2 Tutorial http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/15105[/small]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
  2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Yep! Same with Gigabit (or even 10/100) FTP servers.... why have them if you have to copy 40,000 512K files.... it will take damn near forever LOL

3. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

That's where I think technology can get the most benefit from. If you can get faster transfer speeds between items than that will translate over to other parts (Proc, Ram etc. although I would kill for a 40 gig "Ram" type of drive!!!).

4. Praetor

Have a look for Solid State Drives :) ... dont quite think they hit 40GB but give them time! :)

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

[bold]Have a look for Solid State Drives[/bold]
    Large physical flash drives would certainly be faster than the current hard disk. Another speed boost would be if the frontside bus ran at the same speed as the cpu.

6. Praetor

God if that ever happened............ :D

7. gotisos

gotisos Guest

why not do away with FSB all together? I want to see everything intergrated into the chip itself, ram, storage, video ram. Less loading time, no I/O errors, no drivers integrate all the buses onto the processor (chip) itself and everything will be running at the speed of the processor. Do away with slot loaded BS, usb firewire etc.

I hate the current state of computers, I got 10 peripherals sticking out of my box, and my friends laptop looks like a friggin' tumble weed. How is that convenient? Processors are going to have to have embedded instructions in the future, so I can destroy every useless peripheral I own.

Edit: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15953

http://www.embedded.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2004
  8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

To first get back at the security features. Eyes are all different. The rate of cateracts and defects (genetic) are different. So that will not effect the retinal scan. Only problem is that the rate of cateract or eye alternations do change over time. So that may need to be programed in to show a deterioration over time.
    The best technology would be Genetic information that would even isolate twins with the same eyes.

The all-in-one chip idea sounds cool. Get some liquid nitrogen cooling and you would be set.

9. Praetor

Yes all eyes might be different but what happens if you've had some horrible accident and say... dont have eyes?

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Then I would expect that the hole in your head would be different then others. As eyes are different there are a lot of sutile differences in peoples faces. So I would expect the hole to have a different depth, width and pocket colouration then other individuals.

Still might work for eye less individuals.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You guys are something else, I needed a lift and this gave it to me.

[bold]Yes all eyes might be different but what happens if you've had some horrible accident and say... dont have eyes?[/bold]

[bold]Then I would expect that the hole in your head would be different then others. As eyes are different there are a lot of sutile differences in peoples faces.[/bold]

I know that our governments have a legitmate task force to watch out for hords of blind terroists, or people with holes in their heads. I'm thinking that having a hole in your head will make it pretty easy to identify a person anyway. LOL, LOL
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2004
  12. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I thought that was quite funny when writing it. But what ever works for a security test. You could even have a count for head holes.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm still laughing LOL. I want to thank you both for making it a much more pleasnt afternoon. LOL

14. Praetor

No seriously, if it becomes a universal nationwide test... what do those people do? Or how about people who lose an eye? I'm not talking about national security concerns, just about implementation.... sure it sounds funny but as engineers/designers they have to consider and account for such possibilities before they sign off on it

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I don't think that it would be relevant. If we were using the method to ID lost and homeless blind people with amnesia then I could see an issue. Hmm! now you've somehow got me into this. PRISONER THIS IS YOUR DEBATE.

16. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

The nanocomputer
    http://www.wildirisdesign.com/nano/nanocomputing.html
    is due November 1, 2011. Its says there was a $100 bet in '95, do you think the bet will be adjusted for inflation? lol.

As for the Retinal Scan, you have to focus your eye for 15 seconds on a specific part of the scanner, if thats the current tech, i don't see scanners (like whats in minority report) used to indentify people in the public until at least 2020, or so, it may not even happen if people think it cuts into there freedom (at least in the states)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ummm...... I am the only person who can't think of a signature.....

My Comp:
    Dell Dimension 8100
    Pentium 4 1.3 GHZ
    640 MB RAM
    40 GB HDD
    120 GB HDD
    Nvidia GeForce 2 64MB
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
    NEC 2500-A (Came with the comp, i think [/small]

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hey Pop

No they don't have to focus on your eyes for an extended period anymore.nIn fact with some of the new technology coming out they can read your retina without your permission or you even knowing it from several feet away.

18. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

heh, thats kind of like whats on Minority Report, thanks for updating me.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I only discovered that information when I got drawn into this thread, before then I was with you on nano technology and even posted the info from the site your quoting.

Now Praetor and Prisoner has drifted deep into scifi horror, with the identifying blind people with holes in their heads. LOL
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  20. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member