1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer's Green Blinking light and Hard Disk Question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Wolf873, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Wolf873

Wolf873 Member

Can anyone help me with a little problem. Recently, we had a power-outage and my other computer won't turn on now. There is a little green light that blinks at the back of the case whenever I plug in the power-cord, but nothing happens. What could be wrong with the PC, power-supply damaged or something? Also, I bought a new PC to replace it because it was quiet old.

Now a possible explanation as to what's wrong with the PC will be helpful, but more importantly I'm concerned with the Hard-Drive. I have lot of important files on it, as well as Windows XP is installed on to it. So, if I put it into another computer, would it cause any conflict with Operating-System of the working PC or will I be able to access that Hard drive without any harm to my working PC?

I'll appreciate any help or suggestion.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

does the fans spin at all on old pc. i presume old hd uses an ide connector & new 1 uses sata connector, is that correct? how many ide drives do you have on new pc?

3. Wolf873

Wolf873 Member

The computer is like 4 years old, and has two hard-drives, one of which I installed later (so I'm assuming I can take it out with no problems). I only want my files from the hard drive that has Windows on it, the main drive, by putting it in my working PC. The computer doesn't respond at all, no fans turn or anything whatsoever - just the clicking of the green light as the power cord is plugged in the wall outlet.

But my main concern as I said before is the "Main Hard drive", one with Windows on it. I just want my files from it and I was hoping to put it in my other working PC in order to access that hard drive. Now, would that cause OS conflicts or anything, cause I don't want to end up damaging my working PC.

4. Zer0ink

Zer0ink Regular member

No you wont damage anything

what i would do is :
    1- make sure the hard drive is pinned for slave before installing, 2- go to boot sequents in bios and set all of them to the hard drive you want to boot from (because i cant bet when you boot it'll cause you to get the dual boot window or not and they are a pain to get rid of after), then retrieve data, then format the slave. Then change the boot sequents back.
    3-repeat for other drive.

Is the green light that blinks on the power supply unit or on the mother board or the ethernet outlet?

5. Wolf873

Wolf873 Member

Thanks for that.

Yes, the green light is located on the power-supply unit, where the connecting point is for the power-cord. So I'm guessing that unit is busted.

6. ddp

could be a bad psu done in by the power outage.

7. Wolf873

Wolf873 Member

Thanks. I'll look for a replacement Psu then.

*On side note: My graphics card makes noise, I think its the fan. At first I was able to take care of it by taking it out and re-inserting it, but now that doesn't works. Is it okay if I keep that card in, regardless of noise...cause it still works ok.

8. ddp

the fan needs to be lubricated. see if fan can come off the card & then i'll tell you how to do it with 3in1 oil, electrical tape & kleenex.