1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conditional Access Module for UPC (NTL Dublin)

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by Dubstar, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Dubstar

Dubstar Member

Hi I'm looking for information on purchasing a Conditional Access Module (CAM) for a Sony Bravia LCD TV. I've tuned all the digital channels using the built in DVB receiver and have the unscrambled channels working perfectly, but in order to receive the scrambled channels I need a CAM to put my UPC card into. I could just use the UPC supplied box but that would defeat the purpose of spending money on new telly!! Have asked UPC but they just didn't bother responding to my emails as I think it's way above their level of intelligence (Homer springs to mind....D'Uh!!!!) Any information or knowledge that can be passed on would be appreciated.

2. Dubstar

Dubstar Member

BTW I have tried to find out as much as I can about these CAMs and have found the following website

http://www.digicams-uk.com/category16_1.htm

However I do not know which one will work , and if I get the right one will it work with my card or will I have to ring UPC who will undoubtedly say "Ooh we can't approve of that equipment coz we don't know enough about this technology"

3. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Provider box and subscriber card are paired and you need the boxkey to use the card in a ci-modul. Its not allowed to use other epuipment and you shouldn't talk to UPC.
    If you want to use your subscriber card with a ci-modul you have to crack your card and extract the boxkey.
    The ci-slot at your lcd is for the internal dvb-t tuner and not for cable. If you get ntl a ci-modul doesn't help much.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  4. Dubstar

Dubstar Member

This info taken from official Sony Product Specs of my TV

Analogue Terrestrial Tuner
    YES

Digital Terrestrial Tuner
    YES

Digital TV Cable Tuner
    YES

and the fact that I've managed to tune in all the channels (both Digital and Analogue) but just cannot view the "scrambled" digital ones, EPG also loads up

I don't intend on using "unauthorised" equipment and my ultimate goal is for UPC to offer it's customers the option of a set top box or CAM, but as they will not reply to any emails I'm hoping they keep an eye on forums and may reply "unofficially" through this medium