1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Configuration question

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Hogaholic, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Hogaholic

Hogaholic Guest

I posted this on AVS forum and got ZERO responses. SO, come afterdawn addicts, don't let me down!

I am wanting to move old VHS and Hi-8 tapes to DVD (just like everyone else on this forum). I have tried to do so using this configuration:

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
    800 megahertz AMD Athlon
    Board: HOT_AI61 AMD-75X-W977 6A6S2H29
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    240.06 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    165.04 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    ATAPI CD-RW CW5205 [CD-ROM drive]
    TDK DVDRW420N [CD-ROM drive]
    448 Megabytes Installed Memory
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
    1394 Net Adapter
    Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II (26xxx)

Quite frankly, the quality is bad and the time it takes is ridiculous.

Can anyone recommed to me which pieces of this I should keep and which pieces I need to replace to have a good system for video capture? I don't want to spend a fortune, so I hope to get out of this for a few hundred dollars. But I will try not to let something as silly as money stand in the way!

So, afterdawn, what do I keep, what should I replace, and what should I replace it with?????

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

keep the hds & the roms & go for p4 or equivalent starting in $Can. $309 Intel Celeron 2.4D533
    ASUS P4VP-MX
    256MB DDR 333 PC2700 RAM
    64M Video Card (onboard)
    40GB 7200 HDD
    52X CD-ROM
    Sony 1.44MB Floppy Drive
    Onboard sound & 10/100 LAN
    Front USB Case
    Keyboard/Mouse/Speakers

Intel P4 2.4A FSB533 $379

UP THE RAM TO 1GIG

3. Hogaholic

Hogaholic Guest

Thanks for the reply. So do you think the Hauppage WinTV 150 is strong enough or do you suggest a WinTV 250 MCE?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i honestly don't know about that. 1st time come across that was with a customer when i had to find all his drivers to reload because of virus corruption. check site for faq for possible info

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Hog, I have the WinTv-PVR 350, and it works fine. If the VHS tape is poor quality to begin with (like mine), the quality won't improve when you burn it to DVD.

I have captured some VHS that was pretty good quality, and it burned well to the DVD, even with editing. The quality was pretty much the same as the original VHS tape.