1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confirmation about how to go about installing CFW on new PSP Slim (3.80)

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by Ohlias, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Ohlias

Ohlias Member

Hello.

I must start out by saying this is a great site, and I've done some searches and found LOTS of usefull info/guides. I'm fairly certain I understand what steps I need to take, but I'm one of those guys that needs to have reassurance before he starts. Here goes:

I've got a Daxter PSP Slim which has FW 3.80 on it. I plan on purchasing a Battery Tool similar to the Datel tool and using my 1gig Mem Stick to format it into a MS with CFW 3.71MM33-2. Using the batt along with the stick will allow me to install the customer firmware, correct? Is this all I need? Are there any DETAILS that I'm missing (ex. is a Sony Modded Battery better that a Datel or similar?)

Option TWO:

A buddy of mine has the same PSP and he's had it proffessionally modded (CFW, not hard mod). Is it batter if I use his? What are the advantages?

Thanks for any and all that reply.

2. aftrdrawn

aftrdrawn Regular member

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

It would be easier if your PAL let ya use his PSP. This way you can save money on the Datel Tool battery.

This is completely safe for him to use his PSP to create what you need. Just use your Battery to convert to a Pandora battery (don't worry if you follow the guide you will be able to recover your Battery back to normal).

If he helps ya out go HERE and follow this guide.

If he doesn't help out and you buy a Datel Tool Battery then follow this guide HERE.

4. Ohlias

Ohlias Member

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help.

5. Ohlias

Ohlias Member

Hi Guys, so I've tried it out with my buddy and so far we are UNSUCCESSFUL! :(

My buddy has CFW 3.71M33-4 and the guide mentions M33-2, don't know if this is an issue.

When Running the OS Battery Tool, we follow the steps without a hitch.

Then we run the "EasyInstaller" from the PC, using HIS (CFW Slim) PSP as the memory stick reader. We follow the steps but the software on the PC does not do as in the guide found here: http://my.afterdawn.com/larrylje_redwings/blog_entry.cfm/2548

The difference is in step where the drive is supposed to be formatted (look at the 6th Pic), the software does not get there. It skips directly to Option 4 "Universal unbricker for FAT or SLIM (This installs custom firmware 3.71 M33-2)" step.

We tried anyway and it does that no problem. We follow all of the other steps.

Then we take the battery out of HIS CFW PSP and the "MagiC" Mem stick and pop them both into mine. At this point, my system will not boot. As soon as I insert the battery the green Power LED on the PSP lights up and stays solid. I can't turn it on nor will it go to the autoboot screen. I can, however, turn it off using the switch.

We've tried this a couple of times and have been unsuccessful. So I've used the pandora battery tool to return my batt to normal and my system is still on the Sony OS (XMB?)

Does anyone know what we're doing wrong? Is there a different guide I could follow? I could use your help! ;)

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You never get to the screen that ask to format?

Try it again. Your doing something wrong.

If you still have issue try using a different Memory Stick and if your running Vista this could be an issue as well. it is best that the OS on the PC is XP.

7. Ohlias

Ohlias Member

Both of us are running XP and are using sony mem sticks. Gonna try it again tomorrow.

8. spydah

spydah Member

Whats up people. I went through the whole process of creating the jig kick on my memory card and pandora's battery with my PSP fats extra battery. I place those into my PSP Slim and press x on the blank screen i see a millisec flash of orange light showing something working on the mem stick but then it cuts off. I check my PSP and it says still on Sony firmware 3.71. I checked the mem stick and it has a log file that says the IPL failed. How do i fix this?