1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conflicting IP between router and modem?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Capn212, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Capn212

Capn212 Member

Hey guys how's it goin? Sorry for the long post but I really need help and figured the more info you had the easier it would be to fix. I'll admit, I'm kind of a n00b when it comes to networking. I got my families wireless network set up 2 years ago without problem but now I'm having major issues.
    My network is set up with a Motorola Surfboard modem > Linksys WRK54G ver. 3 wireless router with ethernet connected to the desktop PC and 2-3 laptops connected via wireless.
    The problem started when we were having trouble finding our SSID on wireless network lists, followed by slowing internet, and eventually it just stopped. I had just purchased the Linksys router for another reason so I hooked it up and I could connect to the network but not the internet. Called comcast and they said that the modem was the problem since I still couldn't connect when plugged in directly to the modem (they said that the modem was showing a lot of resets). I replaced the modem with the Motorola Surfboard and it worked for a while but now I'm running into the same problem of the internet working for a few hours, then the PC activity light on the modem starts flashing orange and no internet. Comcast said its conflicting IP between the router and the modem but offered no way to fix it except power cycling which i know is bad for them. And even after a power cycle sometimes it doesn't work. So now I've hooked my laptop up directly to the modem and it works and I'm looking all over for help, anything you guys had would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    -Capn

2. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

Start from scratch. Hold the rest button on the router until the lights reset. This will put the router back to it's factory state. Run the installation disc and be sure you set the network up through DHCP. What this does is assign different IP addresses to each PC setup on the network. Also, check your Wireless Network connection properties on each PC. They should be set to "Assign IP and DNS automatically." I use that model router to setup networks for my customers and they work flawlessly. Hope this helps!