1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused 1x ...2x...etc...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by MsKelly, Jul 22, 2003.

1. MsKelly

MsKelly Member

Hello,
    I have a Panasonic E30 DVD recoder. I am still new at this and I have no idea what 1x 2x, 4x on the DVD-R's mean. Can someone explain this to me. All I am doing is putting my VHS tapes onto DVD. I am not burning them or using anything on the computer. Would I still need to worry what X to buy? Is higher up (4x) a better picture or something? Any help would be great. Thank you.

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - its nice to get a question like that every so often. What the X stands for is speed. A 1x disc takea round 1hour to burn to disc. A 2x 30mins, a 4x 15mins. Quality is usually achieved with the smaller the number, but most new DVD Recorders that support 4x can burn just as good quality at 4x as they can at 2x or 1x. Make sure to buy good media. Buy Ritek G04 media if you can.

Also, when you put a tape on to DVD, how do you do it? You said you are not burning. But that is the only way to out data on to a DVD, so i guess you really are burning. DVD Recorders arent that much different to the DVD Writers for computers.

Hope it goes well!

Chris

3. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Just to note, your burner does not burn faster than 1X, so there is no real advantage for you to buy anything faster than 1X