1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

?confused???gets even more confused???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sirius60, Oct 6, 2004.

1. sirius60

sirius60 Member

I'm very new to this in fact i probably wouldn't even be doing it if it wasn't for the kids keep asking me things... that i don't have a clue about so if i'm out of order please forgive this extreamley confused newbie.
    I have looked through the guides, read through some of the posts but with having a memory not much longer than an inch i'm even more confused.
    I don't understand ripper, encoder, compressing blah blah blah.... avi, codecs, div 3, dvd, vcd etc etc etc...
    What would be really helpfull would be some kind of flow chart thingie that showed how things fit together... is there such a thing, if such a thing is even possible :)
    I will take the time to learn more and it will probably take a long time but its one thing being able to do it and another understanding it and its the understanding i would really like.
    So is there a flow chart thingie or something similar
    tia sirius

2. macafied

macafied Member

Maybe you can start by explaining what you are trying to accomplish. Than maybe someone could help you understand that.

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Try useing the glossary as it will answer some of your questions.

4. sirius60

sirius60 Member

I've got backing up dvd's using smart ripper and dvdone.... i can do it but i don't really understand what it is doing....
    I'v got avi which the kids wanted on a dvd to watch on the tv. I used ulead movie maker which appeared to work fine till the end then it said there wasn't enough disc space.... tried again something different must have happened cause it worked but the kids tell me that half way through the film the movie continues but the audio goes back to the beginning.... sounds a bit strange to me.
    Then why would you use VCD when you can use dvd....
    As i said its not always just about the doing it its about the understanding it.... i do quite a lot of things of this computer that i don't really understand and i would really like to get into this. Putting my old videos on dvd, making my own family dvds etc etc etc

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi sirius60,

When you download DVD's for the kids, you have to make sure you've got pristine files. If they're not pristine problems will ensue -

Just a thought -

Pete