1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

confused, iso or video_ts

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by keelhaul, May 21, 2004.

1. keelhaul

keelhaul Member

Firstly hi :)
    I`ve had a few problems of late and i seem to be producing more coasters than back ups using either nero recode or clonedvd and Ritek G04 disks.
    After a lot of reading here and doom9 etc i decided to try a combination of dvd decrypter/dvd shrink/image tool classic and then burning with dvd decrypter after a couple of failures with clone dvd.
    After trying for the first time with this combination my back up was successfull and it seemed to produce an excellent iso image copy.

Maybe it was just good fortune but would i be better in the future to back up with ISO image or Video TS??

Is there a significant advantage with using one method over the other.

Thanks, and apologies if this has already been asked but i have searched and found nothing.
    :)

Last edited: May 21, 2004
  2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

If you want to burn with DVD Decrypter you have to go with image backups. If you want to burn with something like Nero, you can also do that automatically through Shrink, but of course you have to have Nero. You could also use RecordNow Max, my personal choice most of the time, but you can't automate RecordNow like you can Nero or Decrypter.

3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

you actually don't need to use image tool, dvd shrink can create an iso and burn with dvd dectypter automatically.

4. keelhaul

keelhaul Member

Thanks for the replies :)

But which is the best method to use for compatability with standalone dvd players?
    An ISO image or burning from video/ts??

5. woof811

woof811 Regular member

iso or VIDEO_TS will both work perfect with your dvd player .
    ive burned using both types and had no probs .
    its just a matter of choice mate .

6. keelhaul

keelhaul Member

Thanks woof811 :)

Well i`ve just done 3 back ups to an ISO image using dvd shrink and dvdecrypter and all have been successfull.
    It maybe that i will have to continue using this method to avoid any more coasters, which aint no bad thing as the quality seems excellent.

7. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

If you are on at FAT 32 partition, as in Win 98 or ME, always use the TS file method (unless you're sure the iso image will be less than 4GB (unlikey, but possible if you use Shrink to edit out the credits, logo intros, extra audio streams etc.). Can use any of the usual burning programs except Decryptor (only burns iso)to get the file onto DVD disc. If you have NTFS partition with XP or Win 2000, can use either method, but iso easier.