1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusion is running rampant... help!

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by 19dwr54, Apr 4, 2007.

1. 19dwr54

19dwr54 Member

Please excuse me if I am in the wrong forum...

I have windows 2000 Professional, with a CD-R and DVD-R drive installed. I want/need to play DVD's on my computer. I refuse to install WinXP or Vista, so they are not options.

I have tried to install retail versions of Nero 7 Ultra, WinDVD 7 Platinum and no joy. Nero works for burning data DVD's and CD's but video is another story altogether. Nero support is non existent as is WinDVD's.

I just downloaded from AD, the Windows Medial Player Classic and get the following message when I tried to play a DVD: "failed to query the needed interfaces for DVD playback."

I am fairly computer savvy but have failed to keep up on the video advances relative to computers. In my business, I need to review DVD's and want to do it on my computer and not have to go to my stand-alone DVD player.

I could use some direction relative to what I need to do to play DVD's on my Win2000 Pro setup... Am I missing some important system files? Do the aforementioned software packages I have tried, need something else to play DVD's?

I know that Microsoft chose not to include and DVD playback features in their Win2000 package... for whatever reason and Internet searches have not yielded a lot of information for Win2000... so, do any of you DVD Media Guru's that want to help me?

If I need to be in another forum, please advise.

Thanks in advance,

a frustrated video newbie...

2. Suba

Suba Regular member

Nero 7 has media player that play DVDs. I have WinXP, it may be different in 2000 or maybe you are just missing some codec.
    Get Gspot (free software) and load one of VOB files in it, it will tell you if codec is there or which one you need. You can go from there.
    I hope the DVD you try to play is not protected(commercial), because in that case none of the computer players will work.
    From Nore Web site Nero7 is compatible with 2000SP4.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  3. colw

colw Active member

PowerDVD, WinDVD, Nero Showtime, Media Player classic will all playback DVDs on Win2000Pro. Ensure that you also have DirectX9 installed.

4. colw

colw Active member

PowerDVD, WinDVD, Nero Showtime, Media Player classic will all playback DVDs on Win2000Pro. Ensure that you also have DirectX9 installed.

5. 19dwr54

19dwr54 Member

I have the most current DirectX installed.
    MPC still displays the following message: "failed to query the needed interfaces for DVD playback."

VLC Media Player will play the DVD's but the stream is very choppy.

Nero 7 Ultra will not play anything.

I have downloaded GSpot but it is telling me that the file is in the wrong location. I did a drag and drop to my desktop but it apparently wants the file somewhere else and the Zip file did not have any info on where to extract the files.

Thanks for the help and I would appreciate any other assistance!

6. Suba

Suba Regular member

If one of the players will play the file, than codec is there. From what you are saying (choppy picture) it could be your video card memory or memory on comp. too small. What is your processor?
    Extract Gspot to a folder you create and use it from there.

7. 19dwr54

19dwr54 Member

I am running a 2.1GH Pentium chip.

I tried checking another VLC media Player file in GSpot and got the following message:

"File open failure"
    "Unable to open file E:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.VOB"
    "The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded."

What the giddy-up is the "secrets" thing all about?! Now the computer wants to keep secrets from me...;) Next it will want a secret handshake!

I tried the original DVD file and got the following message in the "proposed codec solutions and test" box:

"Rendering failed. Following is the error reported by DirectShow."
    "0x80040265: [unknown]"

These are retail versions of DVD's, as well as manufacturer supplier promotional DVD's.

I have been able to save files to the HD from a few DVD's and they will play back fairly well but only with the VLC Media Player.

I cannot understand why the Windows Media Player Classic, WinDVD Platinum and Nero 7 Ultra (last two are full retail versions) will not even open the DVD files.

My confusion persists... grateful for any and all help.

8. Suba

Suba Regular member

If you open VIDEO_TS folder you should see Video_Ts files. Some are IFO, Some Backup. GSpot need Mpeg (Video_01_0, 01_1 and so on)they should be around 1G or last one somewhere 800-900MB or whatever left over from whole video file.
    Do not forget GSpot is free so some messages are not so sophisticated.
    You will not be able to view or read retail DVDs as most of them have protection on, so they cannot be transferred to comp. or viewed from comp. drive.
    Some software players are touchy and not play DVDs. I do not use any Window players.
    I personally found Nero to be good. I use CyberLink Power DVD player.

9. mcewanw

mcewanw Member

I have the same "failed to query needed interface" message with Media Player Classic trying to play DVD's on one of my laptops (a Compaq Armada 110 running windows 98). However, with pretty much identical software, and same OS, on another old laptop (a Dell CPx), MPC plays DVD's fine. I've tried different ASPI layer and that had no effect. I really wis h someone who knows MPC well would sort this out - I've seen the same question asked a few times on other forums without any answer.

10. 19dwr54

19dwr54 Member

yeah,

It seems to me that anyone wanting to run commercial DVD's on their computers, are being "forced" to some extent, into upgrading to WinXP or higher. For those of us that refuse to do that, we are left with little or no options that perform consistently and predictably.

This is compounded when resellers and manufacturers of NERO and WinDVD refuse to assist in resolving the issues and flaws that exist in the very same packages they sell that are stated to run on Win2000 and others... you buy the software and keep your fingers crossed.

Unfortunately, after buying NERO 7 Ultra and WinDVD 7 Platinum (both of which tout their ability to run on Win2000) I spent more money than I would have on an OS upgrade and have nothing to show for it except a lighter wallet. Feels nice being taken advantage of and getting no tech support whatsoever.

Good luck with your quest... let me know if you actually get any resolution.

11. Suba

Suba Regular member

No commercial DVD produced by Movie Studio will run on your computer no mater what OS.
    They are all protected so only way to view them is to rip it to your HD to get rid of protection. Than you can play them. The ripper will also take care of Region coding which is other drawback of playing DVD.

12. 19dwr54

19dwr54 Member

My main focus is on "commercially produced" DVD's created for marketing purposes, which I try to review and report on. Unfortunately, even after using GSpot to try and identify what is missing from my OS or software interfaces, it comes up blank.

I have had very limited luck dumping some DVD's to my HD and then viewing them with VLC Media Player. However, I can't even get the commercial DVD playback software to even recognize the disc's in the drive, let alone get the DVD drive to dump the files to the HD.

I can't imagine that everyone with Win2000 Pro is having the same issues I am having... then, maybe I am the last Win2000 OS in cyberspace...;) My wife's parents can play any/all DVD's they buy on their XP OS (which really jerks my chain), so I know that an upgrade will most likely work for my business, since the DVD's I get are commercial promotions and not movies per se'.

It just seems reasonable to me that NERO and WinDVD would at least work with their customers to get the software they sell as compatible with Win2000, to actually work.

I am too stubborn to upgrade beyond Win2000 Pro... so I will continue to suffer.

13. colw

colw Active member

I run Win2000Pro as my OS and have no problems in playing any dvd - commercial or otherwise. Would suggest that you have codec problems.

14. 19dwr54

19dwr54 Member

COLW:

Thanks for the reply.

What would you suggest I do to determine what CODEC's I should have vs. what I actually do have... if any?
    Are there specific files I could search for?
    Are there specific CODEC's I should download/update?
    Do you mind sharing what CODEC's are you running on your OS?
    What software interface are you using to playback DVD's?

Sorry for all the questions, but since you have the same OS and do not have any issues, I would like to find out what you are doing/using successfully and try to replicate the same on my end.

I have tried GSpot to no avail... just get the following message:

"File open failure"
    "Unable to open file E:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.VOB"
    "The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded."

... which just adds to the overall confusion. I will answer any questions you have as best I can.

Thanks!

15. colw

colw Active member

@ 19dwr54

Not sure what codec pack I'm running on my machine - think it is FFDShow.

You also need to DirectX9 installed.

Software I use for playing back DVDs and Video include:
    PowerDVD
    MagicDVD
    Nero Showtime
    Media Player Classic

It is my understanding that PowerDVD and Media Player Classic use their own codecs and do not require additional codecs.

Not sure about the other two.

16. janrocks

janrocks Guest

The big problem here seems to be protected format disks and windows 2000..

If you need to do this stuff for work why are you insisting on using such an obsolete OS? (I can play and rip anything on much older hardware than yours, without any version of windows or any windows compatible software)

I suggest trying this player http://www.download-all-area.com/vlcplayer/ which should play anything in any format. If it doesn't work then either your disks are big time protected, or your os is just too old.

as for the secrets message.. more restrictive M$ practices.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/w2000msgs/995.mspx

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45067

http://www.inventec.ch/chdh/notes/2.htm

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/63042

Reading through all that lot the conclusion is.... It may be region, but most likely encryption.

Try ripping it properly with the bundled package of software from the links on my profile page (the one you have been linked to), and good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2007
  17. 19dwr54

19dwr54 Member

COLW:

Thanks for the info.
    I have Nero and MP Classic and DirectX 9 installed.
    Still have issues with the DVD Drive reading/playing disc's.
    Starting to wonder if it is a hardware issue or a config issue... hummm.

18. 19dwr54

19dwr54 Member

Janrocks... mega thanks for the reply...

I will try the ripping with the decryption tools. Also, in the links above two things stand out:

(1) I can kill the CD-R and run the DVD-R on the IDE cable alone or I can make the CD-R the slave drive and see what happens.

(2) It was mentioned that the DVD-R drive needs to be "authenticated"... what exactly does that mean and how is it verified or accomplished? I just install the hardware and use the mfg. install disc or let the OS recognize the hardware, so I am not familiar with "authenticating" a piece of hardware. I am not the "geekiest" person around but can assimilate technical information and work through issues with a little assistance.

19. colw

colw Active member

Just a thought - are you running any region free software on your system such as AnyDVD or DVD Region+CSS Free? - see link:

http://www.cdr-zone.com/software/dvd_region_free/

If not you may need one of these programs running in the background for DVD playback.