1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusion with DVD Shrink/Decrypter

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by zeebra, Nov 12, 2004.

1. zeebra

zeebra Member

Hey.

I understand that DVD Shink is used to backup copies of DVD-9 disks, and Decrypter with DVD-5 disks. However, when I use DVD Shrink to backup a DVD-9 disk, it maxes out at 4,464 mb, whereas if I examined the file in Decrypter, it would show that the movie is 8gb. Is this neccesarily a problem?
    I removed certain bits, like audio commentaries from the features in DVD Shrink and it still shows 4,464mb. Would it still work if i was to burn it?

2. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

DVD Shrink does exactly as it's name implies. It shrinks video files to fit on a standard single layer blank DVD. It's maxing out at 4464MB because that is the maximum volume of file space that a single layer blank will hold. There are things you can do to lower the amount of compression involved and improve the quality of your backup. The more you compress the more your quality suffers. But shrink does have some built in quality enhancers that do help tremendously at the cost of longer encoding times. For more info on DVD Shrink, I suggest you pay this site a visit.....

http://www.dvdshrink.info/index.php

Have read through the guides section. They are animated and interactive, which is a true benefit. The guides are for slightly older versions of shrink but they still apply to the latest version.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hew zibra, check out bbmayo's easy guide on the dvd shrink forum.He just put it on this morning. It's an excellent guide and easy to use. I have not trouble with large videos. I just make sure i keep my compression setting below 4,300 kbs. This keeps it from burning the outer edge of the disc. Also use quality branded media, ritek ridata and verbatim are very good. I also keep my nero burn no higher than 4x. Once you get your setting right then you hit yourself on your head by how simple it is. I haven't had any use for dvd decrypter yet, but it is ready to use. I accidentally burned with it once, "don't know how lol" but it worked. Bye

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Thanks saugmon :)
    Anyway you can burn DVD-9 in DVD Shrink
    Here is how
    1. Opened your disk or file
    2. Go to Edit then select Preference's
    3. under Preference Tab you will see drop down box where believe it or not you can select DVD-9 8.5GB
    4. Now you can do a complete dual layer DVD...

There is no need for DVD Decrypter as you can see Shrink will do it all unless you have no burning software on your system then Decrypter is usefull for that..

hope this helps out