1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connect PC to TV?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by skogelure, Feb 6, 2005.

1. skogelure

skogelure Member

Ive got a radeon 9600 and have hooked it up to my tv to watch movies but can only get a black and white picture on the tv screen, any soulutiouns?
    Thanx

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Contact manufacturer.

3. Li76

Li76 Member

I've got the same problem as well! my laptop Fujitsu Seimens AMILO 1840 has an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 with a 4 Pins S-Vid on it. Tried to connect to my Panasonic TX28PM1 Tele to watch movie but all I got was Black and White picture. sent it to a PC repair shop and they connect it on an old Hitachi Opus Tele (with the same settings and the same way) and it works just fine!!! they said I've to make sure that my Tele is on PAL and not PAL_SECAM (which will normally produce black and white). The problem is that my Tele will detect any incoming signal automatically and It does not say that it support PAL_SECAM in the manual so I'm pretty sure that it detects the PAL settings I used in the Laptop's Display Settings. In fact I've tried all the available settings on the Display settings but still get Black and White picture. I've also tried using the S-Vid to Composite convertors but still got B&W. What confuse me is how does it work just fine on a quite old Hitachi Tele but does not work with my New Tele??? I've run out of ideas now! Anyway...I think my solution is to try and return the Tele and find a new Tele that is compatible (in this case that will detect colour from my laptop). Oh..by the way, I've also tried connecting it to a Phillips Tele and got the same black and white.

IF ANYONE else has got the same problem, could u please tell me what Brand/TELE they are using so that I can narrow down my choice.

Thank you.
    Li76

4. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

Have you tried going via the dvd player / VCR ? This has worked for people in the past.

5. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Where are you?

If your in North America you should be using NTSC. If I try to play pal on my tv it comes out black and white with lines the run through the tv.

6. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

I think that has more to do with frame rates.

7. Li76

Li76 Member

I'm in the UK. when I tried using NTSC M settings on the display settings I would get black & white with lines. I think i can almost see the colour on NTSC but its flickering and most of it is B&W. I dont know...may be I'm just not good at this. I'm pretty sure I should be using PAL and I know my Panasonic TV detects the incoming signal automatically. I also know that with the same settings and the same cable it works fine on and old Hitachi OPUS TV and it also works fine when I connect my handycam to my Tele..so logically there's nothing wrong with my Laptop or my cable or my Tele! what is wrong then??? its Me hahahhahaha this thing realy drives me nuts!

By the way Mr TAZ...I cant get it thru my DVD coz its not a DVD recorder so there's no S-Vid input jack on it and... what's the proper frame rate that I should be looking at here?

8. cumbuckit

cumbuckit Member

i have the same problem with color issues, i'm using a leadtek a340, which is a nvidia fx5200 card..... i only get color when it is in the booting stage (right b4 getting into windows) and i can get colors on the TV when running windows if i choose to run windows in VGA mode (which THEN gives my monitor a crappy reso and colors...) i just couldn't get my monitor to run in a normal reso and get the TV to run with color simutaneously..... can anyone figure out why? this obviously isn't the cable or connection problem or even problems with NTSC or PAL regions..... since i can get colors on TV.... but only in the crappy VGA mode =(

9. extreme1

extreme1 Member

is the s video cable connecting straight to the t.v? or is it connected to a scart converter with the audio wires which u can get cheap on ebay as if its run thru scart it should be fine

10. sprewest

sprewest Member

Hi all, I have the same problem with the black and white tv screen. I use a S-video cable and connect it to the tv with scart. Now, my other tv had 2 AV channels, AV1 and AV2. On AV1 it showed black and white and on AV2 it showed color. But on this tv, I only have AV1 and it shows black and white...dunno what to do. Dont think the problem is my Nvidia card. Any suggestions?

11. toyclean

toyclean Member

For those getting B&W try this: in your card settings find something that relates to 'force TV detection', turn that off and you might get colour on the display. It worked for me and I had similar problems to what a few of you are experiencing. Another thing I did was downloaded and installed TVTool software from http://tvtool.info/index_e.htm which I saw recommened on another site.
    Good luck.