1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connect VHS Player to PC to Watch videos

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by sarafina, Mar 4, 2005.

1. sarafina

sarafina Member

Okay, I'm fresh out of dummy school. Can someone tell me how I can connect my VHS Player to my PC (new) so I can watch VHS video tapes? Caution: I'm not up to speed on jargon.
    Thanks, Sarafina.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You need a video capture card of some sort.
    You can get a cheap one for less than $30 US.
    Look for one with the Conexant BT878 chip. It's quite common, and there is LOADS of 3rd party support for it.

3. sarafina

sarafina Member

Thanks. aahmm... capture card? Do you have a suggested one or brand name to get me looking in the right direction?
    3rd Party support? That's a teaste. I have no idea what to look for in 3rd party support. What am I looking for? Does anyone have a proven suggestion for me to explore?
    Thanks. This forum is the complete best!.
    -Sarafina

4. maliaus

maliaus Guest

You said your PC is new, what type of video card is in it. The most widely used is ATI's All in WOnder series video/capture cards. They are the easiest to use also. If you dont have a video/capture card in your system already (check the invoice it will say capture next to video card type)you can get a add-on TV Card like ATI's TV Wonder or the like for anywhere around $50.00. The best add-on would be to find a TV card made by the same manufactor of your video card.

5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Getting a matching card isn't always a good idea.
    There's hundreds of different capture cards, some better than others. They start as low as $20 and go up.
    The Leadtek Winfast TV2000 is a good starting card. Good drivers included.
    There are probably 100 different TV tuner/Capturing programs that will work with that card (3rd party support).