1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a vcr to pc

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Tartdog, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Tartdog

Tartdog Member

Hi,
    I have installed a Dazzle DV Clip firewire/capture card which works fine with my JVC GR-DX25 camcorder and Pinnacle 8 software,the camcorder does not support DV in.I am wanting to know if it is possible to connect my phillips VCR to the Dazzle card,the connections to the VCR is only a scart socket and connections to the rear of the card is 2 (firewire ports?,IEEE 1394?) funny shaped looking things,would this be possible?,thanks in advance,Tartdog.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

You Can Not hook a VCR up to a Firewire Card but if your camcorder has Analogue Inputs(RCA or S-Video) you can hook the VCR up to the Camcorder and hook the camcorder up to the Firewire Card and then the Camcorder Will convert the Analogue Signal from the VCR to DV and Transfer the Video to your PC Via the Firewire Card...

Firewire Ports can only Transfer Digital Information and your VCR is Analogue so you must use the Camcorder to Convert the Analogue Signal from the VCR to Digital(DV) that is if your Camcorder has analogue Inputs.....

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2004
  3. mooseface

mooseface Member

Hello,

This is probably a stupid question, but how does the vcr connect to the pc in the scenario whereby a camcorder is used as a digital converter?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

The VCR doesn"t hook up to the PC it hooks up to the Camcorder and the Camcorder hooks up to the PC useing a Firewire Port ...So it is the camcorder that is Converting the Analogue Signal from the VCR to a Digital DV Format and transfering it to the PC....

5. Tartdog

Tartdog Member

Hi,
    I have tried on numerous times following your advice,vcr connected to the camcorder then camcorder to the firewire port,the only video I get at the PC end is what is being displayed through the camcorder at that time,I must be doing something wrong but I don't know what?,cheers.Tartdog.

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

What does this mean:

7. eandtc

eandtc Member

"I have tried on numerous times following your advice,vcr connected to the camcorder then camcorder to the firewire port,the only video I get at the PC end is what is being displayed through the camcorder at that time,I must be doing something wrong but I don't know what?,cheers.Tartdog."

First of all, your camcorder must have a function called "video pass-through", or in the case of my Sony DCR-TRV-33, it's called "signal convert". Secondly, assuming your camcorder has this function, you must change the setting to "A/V -> DV out". Right now, your camcorder is acting like a digital VCR, recording your analog signal. You want the signal to pass through the camcorder, be digitized by the camcorder, and then have the signal passed along throught the firewire port to the PC. This is how I started capturing my Star Wars LD's (until I found out a $40 capture board does a better job.)

I've looked at your instuction manual: http://books.jvcservice.com/booklist.asp?Model=GR-DX25EK
    and on page 33, it mentions connecting to the PC and recording in real time. I don't know if this is the same as "pass through", but it doesn't sound like it. You may have to do it in a 2-step process: 1) record from VCR to camcorder, 2) record from camcorder to PC.