1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting DVR to computer with USB

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by lowmover, Aug 4, 2005.

1. lowmover

lowmover Guest

I have posted here for xbox questions before and had many good comments. I am now looking at connecting a Dish DVR to my computer with a USB to USB dell cable with Intellimover software. I tried to hook it up last night and it made the connecting noise. After I installed the driver for the cable nothing happend. I had connection and it said the device was working properly, but I could not see the DVR(in the my computer screen). Has anyone ever tried this and got it to work, or is it a hopeless battle tring to connect to a DVR with a use cable.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

So you are Trying to Transfer Video you have Recorded on the DVR to your PC Via USB cable???

Well from what I understand after Installing the Driver and Hooking up the DVR to your PC the DVR Should Show up in "My Computer" as a Removeable Drive and you should be able to access the DVR By double Clicking it in My computer....I"m pretty sure this is at least how it works when Hooking up a TiVo to your PC....

Good Luck

3. lowmover

lowmover Guest

Yes, that is what I am trying to do but it doesn't ever show up in "My Computer" as a drive. Is it possable that it will not let me because the usb port is locked and if so is there anyway to unlock it. Thanks for any help

4. Kilroy70

Kilroy70 Member

How can you hook a usb cable to a Dish Network receiver? I have the Model 508 receiver and it does not have a usb connection. What do I need to connect that up?

Thanks

Mike

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can"t Connect a Reciever to your PC the way you can with a DVR..
    A DVR Has a Hard Drive that Stores Recorded TV shows and a Reciever doesn"t....

If you want to record TV Shows From your Reciever on your PC you will need a Capture Device installed in your PC and then you can Hook the Reciever up to the Capture device and Record TV shows....

Cheers

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can"t Connect a Reciever to your PC the way you can with a DVR..
    A DVR Has a Hard Drive that Stores Recorded TV shows and a Reciever doesn"t....

If you want to record TV Shows From your Reciever on your PC you will need a Capture Device installed in your PC and then you can Hook the Reciever up to the Capture device and Record TV shows....

Cheers

7. Kilroy70

Kilroy70 Member

I was going on what Lowmover said earlier. He was connecting a Dish DVR which is what I have to my computer via USB, but, Where would the cable connect? Is there anything that hooks up to the expansion port?

Any & All help is Much Appreciated.

Mike

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

A Dish Network Reciever is different from a Dish Network DVR...A Reciever doesn"t have a Built in Hard Drive for storeing recorded TV shows were a DVR Does....

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

A Dish Network Reciever is different from a Dish Network DVR...A Reciever doesn"t have a Built in Hard Drive for storeing recorded TV shows were a DVR Does....

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

11. Kilroy70

Kilroy70 Member

My Receiver is a DVR. What do I need?

Thanks

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well what Outputs does it have on the Back??? It will have either a USB or Possibly a SATA Output but if it doesn"t have any of these then you can"t connect it to your PC...(Unless you have a Capture Card)

13. Kilroy70

Kilroy70 Member

It has the Sat in, Antenna in & TV OUT Coax's. Also the RCA's - 2 sets out. There's also the S-Video, Optical, The Expansion port (That looks like a Giant Scsi Port). Only other port is the remote antenna for the UHF Remote.

Thanks

14. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well none of this are Digital outputs so there is no way to Transfer the Video stored on the DVR on your PC... the only way would be to use a capture card to capture the Video from the DVR to your PC or maybe you can take the Hard Drive out of the DVR and put it in your PC and Transfer the Files that way.....

15. lowmover

lowmover Guest

My Dish DVR has the USB port but when I tried to hook up the USB to USB cord it would not show up on my PC. Does this mean the port is locked and can I unlock it, or do I need some different software to connect it?

16. Minion

Minion Senior member

First read through the manual that came with yout DVR unit and then if you still can"t get it to work then contact the manufacturer of your DVR web Site and see if there is a spefific driver you need....

17. adeelio

adeelio Member

can someone please tell me where i can download the driver to connect my dvr to the PC. Can someone please send me the link for the website. thanx

18. witwips

witwips Member

lowmover, i am also trying to connect my dish network dvr to my computer. I am using a usb to usb cable. When i plug the cable into both compentes i here the hard drive in the DVR making noise and thats it. So i just wanted to know if you ever had luck having the DVR show up on your computer.

Thanks pat

19. tucker001

tucker001 Regular member

The USB/Firewire ports on most DVRs are disabled, and most DVRs encrypt the data on the drives to where even when you take the drive out of the dvr and connect the drive to the computer it still won't read it, this is because the MPAA and Television networks dont wawnt you to burn DVDs and sell them on a blanket in your front yard. The only way to get the data out of your DVR is to use the analog hole which is taking the output of your dvr and plugging it up to a video capture device of some sort and digitizing the video. Yes your converting the video from digital to analog back to digital but the quality is so good from the beginning your not going to see much degredation.

Here are some of my recommendations

http://ati.amd.com/products/RadeonX1900/aiwx1900/index.html

http://pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Dazzle/

http://www.hauppauge.com/

http://www.neurostechnology.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-D-R40...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215484287&sr=8-2

20. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

If it is a Motorola DVR from Time Warner, you can user the Firewire to transfer the videos to your hard drive.

I used the program called CapDVHS to do it. You will also need the driver for the DVR.

The only way to transfer it is to record it as its playing from your DVR.